AC Blower Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrecker03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question......I have a 97 2dr 4x4. When I put the AC on and set it for just the panel and turn it on high I can barely feel it blowing. Don't get me wrong it blows, I can hear the fan blowing at all speeds, but if I point the vents directly at me while I'm driving I can barely feel the air hitting me. I'm curious if this is normal? I just recharged the AC and it blows cold when you have your hand right up to the vent but it takes forever to cool the entire cabin. On these 90 degree days I have a 45 minute drive from work and I keep it on full blast just to keep comfortable.

I was talking to a buddy and he said he wasn't positive, but thought there might be a cabin air filter that could be plugged. He said if not then to remove the blower motor and clean out behind it and it should make a huge difference. I just wanted to know if what I have is normal or not?

wpnzrule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the inlet under the dash in front of the passenger seat. I had this happen and all it was, was a plastic bag got sucked up into the blower motor inlet. If thats not it I would proceed on to the cabin filter.

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a two door 97 tahoe too, and have the same problem. What i found is that i must have a vacuum line that is broken because when i have the selector switch for the air to blow only out of the dash it is still blowing out the defrost vents! Causing a pressure drop! You might have the same problem!!!

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a two door 97 tahoe too, and have the same problem. What i found is that i must have a vacuum line that is broken because when i have the selector switch for the air to blow only out of the dash it is still blowing out the defrost vents! Causing a pressure drop! You might have the same problem!!!

I have the same issue! Do you have anymore info on this problem? Mine works right sometimes but other times it will only work out of the defrost.

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not done any more looking into it. Sorry, Need to dig around and find the lines controlling the dampers!!

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find out anything let me know and I will do the same! One other thing do our trucks have the cabin filter?

RSymons

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I dont think they do. I did a little checking and I believe they started putting cabin filters in the newer body style say 2000-2001.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. I pulled off the the plastic cover on the pass side and didn't see one.

nikel

Reaction score
Some interesting info on this. I have a 98 4door and decided to replace the evap. When I got the old one out the inlet side was not in great shape, but what pissed me off was the other side. Some genius decided to spec four layers of aluminum screen as some sort of diffusion filter on the back side of the evap.

I bought this truck in 99 and bitched up a storm with Chevy about how the AC would not blow like other vehicles. Their response was nothing wrong with it... nothing to fix.

Now that I have the new evap in; which does not have that stupid screen, it blows like you would expect.

I have pics I can post if anyone is interested in seeing the original evap.

MetalStorm

Reaction score
Nikel, please post pics...pics are always good! I have a similar problem as well, but what is even more frustrating for me is that the rear A/C on my 99 4 door blows good cold air, but the front blows warm and not strong. Blower soudns like it is blowing hard, but you hardly feel it sitting in the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6

Latest posts