ABS Module removal 2001 Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amaturejoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had the ABS warning light on for awhile.
Recently changed out both from hubs so it is leaning towards ABS module.
Looks like it is a common problem. Plan on removing the module and sending it out to get rebuilt.

On my truck the ABS module and pump assembly is located under the truck in the frame.

My question is - has any one been able to take the module off with out removing the ABS pump. I am able to get the 3 screws off that you can see, but I can not get the 4 screw that is in the back of the unit off. I have tried a couple different torx set ups but can't seem to get on to the screw.
I would like to try and avoid taking the pump off and having to bleed all the lines.

Thanks for your help

Joe V.

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to pull the whole thing out when I did mine not that bad bleeding the brakes and you know you have fresh brake fluid when you get done with the job.

There is an Video how to re solder the connections it not hard just take you're time doing the job.

OP
OP
A

amaturejoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ended up having to pull hole unit out. Getting brake lines off was a pain. Had to use mini torch to get two bottom lines off. After getting unit off discovered last screw was stripped.

Thanks for the link to the video, going to try and repair module myself.

Does any one know if you have to do anything special to bleed abs pump?

Online it looks like to do it right you need a diag tool.

OP
OP
A

amaturejoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Repaired the module and got it back on, much easier to install with new allan head screws.

Bled each wheel once. Luckily I was able to get all bleed screws open. Ended up replacing 2 of them because they were in such bad shape. Took the truck for a quick drive with spongy brakes. Bled each wheel again and brakes came back to normal. Actually better than before.
Took the truck out to a snow covered field and worked the ABS. No lights came on and brakes worked great.
Going to bleed the brakes one more time, just to be sure.

OP
OP
A

amaturejoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For re-installing the module I cut a wrench in half to be able to get the brake lines on easier. Needed a full wrench to loosen line but a half wrench would have made getting them off easier too.
Just something you might want to consider.

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
Taking that module off sounds like a pain.

We need to get the one off our '01 Tahoe, so I can fix it or send it off for repair.

Can I pay you to come and do that for me?

:cool:

OmniCamaro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did this job today in about 3 hours, with breaks.
Jacked up the 01 Tahoe, supported with jack stands (driver's side). I used a T20 bit stuck into a small socket and used the small ratchet to remove the 4 Torx bolts(circled in red). The picture is the view from underneath so the 4 holes/bolts are towards the front of the vehicle.
1be93fbd13cbecfe40ff1f518b28ee58.jpg

There are 6 small T8 bolts holding the cover on the unit, 4 around the outside and 2 in the opening where the shiny round things are(circled in red).
33b56208926a14f08085015a09affd0e.jpg

You will need to use some sort of thin sharp tool (box cutter type) and cut the gasket all around several times. Start prying apart with a flat blade and cut even deeper while doing so. The gasket material is plentiful and in some places stuck to the circuit board itself. Take your time, cutting the excess while prying.

After I removed the cover I just re-soldered pretty much all the soldered points on the board.

I used a small wire brush on my Dremel and removed all the old gasket material on both pieces.
f0cb011163c37551f16add1e3eab2ece.jpg

Used new liquid gasket and bolted it back together. No lights so far[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove