ABS gremlin woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacon612

Reaction score
Hey all.

99 Denali OBS (GMT400) 302k miles. Been trying to sort out an abs issue that im having. Seems to be common and Ive seen posts all over about it. The abs acts up and engages on dry pavement at low speeds when coming to a stop. Really dangerous actually. Almost hit a few things while trying to diagnose.

Anyways, I tried cheap fleabay replacement abs sensors, no difference. Went a head and put two new timken bearings in. They come with new abs sensors installed. Put dielectric grease in the connectors from the abs module and also between the speed sensors and the wire that runs to the module. No difference.
Just got a proper scan went for a drive with the scanner attached. Scanner showed codes relating to the front left wheel speed sensor having issues. While driving, the scanner showed the reported speeds from both front left and right side sensors. The left sensor would show the correct speed intermittently.

So...where could my issue be? Where to start looking? Does GM sell a replacement wire that runs from the speed sensor to the abs module? Is it possible that it is my abs module? I think its a kelsey hayes 310. Is it a bad ground?

Any advise appreciated. I don't mind driving with the abs fuse out but winter is coming and I worry about others driving the truck without abs in bad weather. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the wiring from the sensor to the abs unit. you would just replace the harness if you can find it. gm 12137127 for the left side with airbags. you can try cleaning the terminals first tho.

OP
OP
B

bacon612

Reaction score
the wiring from the sensor to the abs unit. you would just replace the harness if you can find it. gm 12137127 for the left side with airbags. you can try cleaning the terminals first tho.
Wanted to thank you for this pn sunlit. Going to be trying to track one down and replace it in the next couple weeks. I've cleaned the contacts with dielectric grease at the abs module as well as the speed sensor I'm the wheel well. Will post back with findings when I pull the old wire.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bacon612

Reaction score
Digging this up a year later. Just got around to replacing the the abs wiring. Seems that the issue is the same. I've read that a bad ground can cause the issue too. @SunlitComet, do you happen to know which ground point the ABS system uses? If so, where is it? As usual, thanks for your help.

fishmagnet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the same issue. Replaced both front wheel bearings with new speed sensors, ABS still failing intermittently. My Kelsey Hayes ABS module is sealed and cannot be cracked open and serviced as I've read elsewhere.
I finally just yanked the fuse for the ABS and live with the ABS light on in my dash cluster.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you happen to know which ground point the ABS system uses? If so, where is it? .

There doesn't look to be a separate ground wire for the sensors.

What was the code number generated for the sensor?

379F0861-0F2C-4FE1-AA34-C0ABAA35614D_zpsvdbvaesh.gif

There was a TSB relating to low-speed ABS activation. The voltage can be checked to see if it is in spec.

55A87A55-490B-423E-9AB9-74D35FAB5B95_zps0ws2lqmw.png

41C0CF63-5CB1-4370-AE94-B5EE98B00458_zpszkjukpwj.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bacon612

Reaction score
There doesn't look to be a separate ground wire for the sensors.

What was the code number generated for the sensor?

379F0861-0F2C-4FE1-AA34-C0ABAA35614D_zpsvdbvaesh.gif

There was a TSB relating to low-speed ABS activation. The voltage can be checked to see if it is in spec.

55A87A55-490B-423E-9AB9-74D35FAB5B95_zps0ws2lqmw.png

41C0CF63-5CB1-4370-AE94-B5EE98B00458_zpszkjukpwj.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sending this along. I recently decided to give up on this too and just pulled the ABS dash lamp.

The code reads that the front driver wheel occasionally misreports the correct speed. What doesn't add up is that ive replaced that hub twice with new parts and the same result. I'd read the above TSB that states that there may be rust or dirt in the wheel hub where the sensor reads the tone wheel. If my hubs are new that wouldn't be an issue for me, though. I actually took it in to the dealer and if you can believe it, they couldn't replicate the issue. They even had it for two weeks.

o_fatmike_o

Reaction score
thats, how intermittent problems work . once you take them to the shop they disappear and once you pick it up , they come back on the drive home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e