about to lift, what to rebuild first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stang&Hoe

Reaction score
well im about to do the performance acc. lift with the blocks/keys and body lift. with that im going to do 35s under it.
before i do that though, im wondering what all should i look into replacing? truck has 160k on it. steering is a bit sloppy... im thinking control arm bushings (theyre cracking pretty bad) and ball joints. anything else i should look into changing? i want the truck to handle safely, as my wife drives the truck on rare instances...
i assume leave spring bushings while im at it, and maybe sway bar bushings too? shocks? im thinking bilstein shocks would be the best ride?

for the record, im doing 16x8.5 wheels with 35x12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. not sure if that matters or not...

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

so far, im looking at buying these parts. yay or nay?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ChassisSuspension/Chevy/Tahoe/1ASFK01099/665773/1999

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ChassisSuspension/Chevy/Tahoe/MGSMX00008/491222/1999

unrelated to suspension, but still.... http://www.1aauto.com/1A/DoorHingePins/Chevy/Tahoe/1ADRK00030/563984/1999

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated sway bar bushings , but other than that you have just about everything covered with that big kit up there , I don't remember if this was on there but Definitly you ball joints they will stress with the new tires , I am very happy to see you rebuilding your Suspension Trust me it will make your Lift all the more better when completed. Most guys just slap a lift with old worn out suspension parts and wonder why their ride sucks and they are replacing parts a few months later

OP
OP
Stang&Hoe

Stang&Hoe

Reaction score
As stated sway bar bushings , but other than that you have just about everything covered with that big kit up there , I don't remember if this was on there but Definitly you ball joints they will stress with the new tires , I am very happy to see you rebuilding your Suspension Trust me it will make your Lift all the more better when completed. Most guys just slap a lift with old worn out suspension parts and wonder why their ride sucks and they are replacing parts a few months later

i appreciate that! to me it seems kinda silly to expect it to perform and ride right with the old parts, but ive never lifted a truck before, so i want to make sure i do this one right. and its not a mud truck, its my baby so im not wanting to cut corners. (but yet im doing body lift and blocks with a bar crank instead of a full suspension lift....eh oh well...lol) i really want it to ride and handle right is the main thing.

that kit does include ball joints....its just out of stock right now...dangit...
should i replace shocks while im at it, or do you think theyll be ok for the time being? they ride fine now is the only reason im not sure about changing them...ill get to them soon, but thats 300 i could put toward tires if my stock shocks will be ok for a bit longer.

also, Don, where did you get that roof rlight bar? i cant seem to dig any up for these trucks but i love the look of them!! the big light bar and brush gaurd really make your truck look tough!! long as it doenst offend you, im kinda gonna steal your style on that!! big ole ranch hand on the front and a big light bar on the roof...

Last edited:

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your gear ratio? My sun-shell snapped in the tranny even though I drive like a grandma and I only have 33's.

OP
OP
Stang&Hoe

Stang&Hoe

Reaction score
What is your gear ratio? My sun-shell snapped in the tranny even though I drive like a grandma and I only have 33's.

when i do the lift, ill be rebuilding the diffs with 4.10s (3.73 now) and about 6 months after i do the lfit, ill be rebuilding the engine and trans...and lets face it no sense in rebuilding back to factory specs! haha
looking at ordering a Monster Transmission...seem to be quite tough.
although my truck has had 33s on it for 160k miles and no trouble so far...*knock on wood*

Seems kinda cheap?

yeah...thats the only part that really screams at me...but they are a sponsor here...if that means anything...for the price though, almost seems worth a shot though since im doing the labor myself...

just ball joints at autozone are around $100 themselves...but then again they have lifetime warranties...and i have to imagine that 35s will be pretty rough on ball joints.

pro comp 6" lift is what ive decided on, btw. anybody have any experience on that lift?

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea 100 would be for the cheapest ball joint. A set of Moog ball joints would run you about 200. I would do some research before you bought it. Those are not things you want to go with a cheap quality. If you are going to run 35' I would run 4.56 gears instead of 4.10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881