A/C problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTXtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello I have a 2001 chevy Tahoe and I'm having some A/C problems, at first the A/C wasn't blowing cold in front but in the back was blowing cold so I added freon to see if I was low and now the front blows cold and the back blows warm not hot just warm. Do I need to add more freon or is there something I have to do so the back would blow cold also. Please let me know thanks.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, hookin up gauges and checking pressures is where you need to start.
Your pressures may have been fine and you may have had a mechanical issue since your rear was still blowing cold.
You now may be dealing with an overcharged system.
If your system is low then one symptom may be your compressor constantly cycling on and off rapidly.
With AC it's all about pressures And that's where you gotta start.

Last edited:

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, welcome to the forum, and Jason has a good point. These systems are very sensitive, meaning putting in Freon is the wrong way to fix it where it will work as it should.
You need to find an AC shop, not a jiffy lube, that has a RECOVERY MACHINE. First they will unload the system and pull a vacuum to @ least 30 inches which will also check for leaks. The machine will re-charge the system while never starting the vehicle. You want it fixed, don't settle for any other quick fixes.
My Tahoe is just under 200k, the original system is still cooling 36-40 degrees, very comfortable. good luck and let us know when you get it fixed.
David g................:2cents:

watuzi

Reaction score
What's a good high and low pressure reading for a Tahoe?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a good high and low pressure reading for a Tahoe?
That all depends on what the ambient temp is outside. Refrigerant pressure is directly proportional to the temperature it is subjected to. The pressure reading of a 30lb cylinder of r134a sitting outside in 95 degree temp would be different from one sitting outside in 70 degree temp. This refrigerant property is what makes refrigerant a refrigerant. Did I use the word refrigerant enough in that last sentence? :p
Warm summer day around 85-90 degrees outside I would expect somewhere around 45-50psi on the low side. As far as the high side? Well who cares assuming the system has no problems like dirt condenser coil which would cause the high side to be higher than normal. People! Clean your condenser coils out with a garden hose atleast once a year, more if you are in a dirty environment often.

watuzi

Reaction score
That all depends on what the ambient temp is outside. Refrigerant pressure is directly proportional to the temperature it is subjected to. The pressure reading of a 30lb cylinder of r134a sitting outside in 95 degree temp would be different from one sitting outside in 70 degree temp. This refrigerant property is what makes refrigerant a refrigerant. Did I use the word refrigerant enough in that last sentence? :p
Warm summer day around 85-90 degrees outside I would expect somewhere around 45-50psi on the low side. As far as the high side? Well who cares assuming the system has no problems like dirt condenser coil which would cause the high side to be higher than normal. People! Clean your condenser coils out with a garden hose atleast once a year, more if you are in a dirty environment often.

Yes, will do, thanks for the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645