A/C issue (all switches are ok)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2 Dr 2 the North

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The compressor doesn't come on and so I get no cold from the A/C.

My friend put the gauges on: NO leaks and pressure/freon was all good too.

ALL pressure switches checked and were good.

Ground on thermostat housing was broken - replaced that and still nothing.

We did check all the fuses - all good.

We traced it to the A/C relay - when we pulled the relay and jumped the port - the compressor came on finally. An electrician checked the relay by putting power to it and it was fine (click -click).

So - my friend says that there is NO power going to the switch/relay.

Where do I go from here guys??? Dash switch, ECM ??

Thanks

Last edited:

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i say replace the relay if you remove the relay and jumped it and it started the compressor then the power is good

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may want to check the heater control switch, they can go bad, would be the next thing i'd check if you are absolutely sure its not the relay.

OP
OP

2 Dr 2 the North

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys.

I had pulled the relay and hooked it up to 12v on the prongs and it was clicking (opening/closing).....so I think its good?

The A/C button lights up when pushed in.... (and the heater control/fan switch comes on too.....I will have to take them off to test though.

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what method did you use to jump the relay, also how did you test the pressure switches. If you unplug the switch at the accumulator and jump the plug with a wire or paperclip with the a/c on high does the compressor start?

OP
OP

2 Dr 2 the North

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When we jumped it with the A/C relay out - my pal stuck 2 pieces of metal in the receptacle area - the compressor came on and was fine. (My electrician friend at work helped me jump the relay with batteries - and it clicked on/off - AS LONG AS WE TOUCH THE RIGHT PRONGS???)

We jumped all the switches with a small piece of wire at the accumulator and the 2 on the compressor - and no go for them all. And the volt meter did show they were all getting the 12v I believe. (my friend was doing this and giving commentary while I was inside the cab).

He says - its not getting the 12v TO THE A/C RELAY for it to close and let the power get through....

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is why i am saying its the relay if you jumped the receptacle that means it has power so it can only be the relay it you have a buddy with a similar truck try his

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24