A/C compressor failure - 2015 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff m

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon was diagnosed with a condensor leak today. There is a nation wide out of stock on this part. Gm is supposed to release some this week. 5/15/2017. Dealers at a GM dealers conference last week complained big time about this at conference. Someone recorded a video of gm official acknowledging there is a known part defect. See how my case with gm goes. Maybe it's POST time of a video.

Nord

Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon's AC stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and was told the condenser is bad. I have 45,000 miles and out of warranty... $1250. The dealer says the part is still on backorder and GM is fulfilling orders in the the order they're received. No ETA available for mine at this point. Now I have a 2 year old $65,000 SUV with no AC and I'm stuck footing the bill? That's outrageous.

COME ON GM, STEP UP AND RECALL THIS POS!!!

OmegaRoach

Reaction score
Ours just went out on our 2015 YDXL. We did opt for the extended warranty, so we are covered. Dealer had one available too. Just doing a little research and it appears that this is a common issue. Glad I went with the extended warranty now (I usually don't)

Bazzatcha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my wife a new 2016 Yukon XL Denali 8 months ago. This Monday with 15k miles she was sitting in the carpool line and heard a squealing noise, followed by a smoking burning rubber smell. She called me freaking out and luckily i was near by so I told her to park it and I would come meet her, change cars and let her go about her day while I changed the belt out. Well after we exchanged cars, I popped the hood and still smelled the burning smell but the belt looked fine and no more noise. I did notice one of the pulleys down at the bottom was slightly wobbly but couldn't tell if that was normal or not so I decided to drive it back to my office where I could better diagnose it and on my short drive back, the A/C was blowing hot. I called the dealership and they told me it was probably the compressor and to drive it over to them as it was still under warranty so I did. 2 days later, they finally were able to look at it and sure enough, the compressor did fail and they were waiting for the part to come in. Now i'm curious to know if this is a common problem or just a random bad luck kind of deal and so I googled it, found this site along with several others and realized this is a very common problem. In fact, some of my other GM friends have told me about 3 other people with the exact same problem. It is so common in fact that the reason why I am waiting on parts is because they are on back order as there are many people ahead of me and it is on a first come, first serve basis. I still don't know when the part is expected to come in and 4 days later, I still cant get an answer. Apparently a dealership if Alabama said GM wasn't going to recall this because it wasn't a safety concern. 65k for a vehicle and GM won't step up and own an obvious defect just doesn't sit well with me. Yeah, my repair is covered under warranty now but what about all the other people who aren't? Whose to say the replacement part isn't the exact same part that they are replacing now and it goes out once the warranty expires? What then? I felt compelled to sign up for this forum and post my story because people need to know they are driving a vehicle with a defect and it is only a matter of time before they experience the same problem. I guess all we can do is spread the word, document the problem and hope GM does the right thing. Good luck and to anyone at GM reading this, I run a construction company with a fleet of over 100 vehicles and you can bet your arse that if the right thing is not done here, it will greatly influence my buying decisions going forward. Thank you!

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ GM truck compressor fits & someone else posted the part#

supposedly, there is a service bulletin on the "overcharged" A/C issue

other threads, in case others are searching...
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/a-c-not-working.61544
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/191701-2015-tahoe-ac-condenser/page-2#entry2007459
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/air-conditioning-went-out.85088/
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/a-c-stopped-blowing.84023/
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...-conditioner-condenser-leak-frustrated.95473/

the condenser (part# 84211191) is/was on natl back order
&
part# 84243590 is readily available (its for the trucks & same size)

also as FYI, Pep boys has a condenser that is made by Spectra in Canada, comes with a 2 year warranty and is a direct fit for the 2015 GMC Yukon/Tahoe 5.3L engine

Florida Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2015 Yukon was diagnosed with a condensor leak today. There is a nation wide out of stock on this part. Gm is supposed to release some this week. 5/15/2017. Dealers at a GM dealers conference last week complained big time about this at conference. Someone recorded a video of gm official acknowledging there is a known part defect. See how my case with gm goes. Maybe it's POST time of a video.

O please post said video, that might help the masses. here's my story:

Ok, so after digging around I found a great many unhappy Chevy/GM customers unhappy as I am with their A/C issues! I now feel better I am not alone....yippy! November 2017 I got a Recall letter in mail in regards to the A/C condenser/compressor/issues if recently learned is an epidemic. Great I thought, they will fix it! WRONG.... Unfortunately for me, i had the letter in a pile, as most of us do, i opened important stuff first. I got to that letter in January 2018... I own a 2105 Tahoe LT which i once loved! Back in August 2017 I began having A/C issues all of a sudden. I had it looked at by my local mechanic who found the refrigerant to be low.... naturally he charged it up. Off I went with once again cold A/C. Well that lasted about a month, then repeated the process 3 more times until i was able to schedule time to take the POS in for further diagnosis. It was discovered like many of you, I not only have a leak in the condenser but one in the compressor as well. Awesome news..... Alas come January I opened the recall letter which states (paraphrasing) 2015 and newer models have been found to have defective Condensers and "if under 60,000 miles and less than 5 years old it would be covered to take a look at. Well, I F'ed I figured as I had just broke 60K. Of course when i began the issue I was under the milage. So I called the number on said recall and explained the situation and that I had receipts of said charges and miles, at that time, etc... Sorry, you are over the miles said the gentleman whom I could barely understand due to hime speaking English with a terrible foreign accent.... I figured right, I/m F'ed. He suggested bringing it in and having them diagnose the issue and If it is the condenser they will see what can be done in collaboration with the dealer. Fat chance.... Brought it in today, as time permitted me to completely waste my time today! Dealer service personnel advised it would cost approx. $135 just to diagnose the issue and then approx at least $1000 if it is the condenser to fix. Would the $135 be deducted from the repair i asked just for fun....NOPE! He also said if you are over 60K he can guarantee Chevy will not pay for it no matter what the guy on the phone told me.. GREAT I thought....

Well while I'm here, I also have a recall for an airbag issue.. No problem. I also have these damn dome lights flashing every time I break, signal right, left, etc.... I read it was a fault in circuit somewhere and could be remedied with a different bulb.... Can we put a bulb in there... NOPE, we'll need to replace all 3 domes, front, middle and back... approx $400.00... the bulbs cant be replaced he said.... Thats funny, so what i read was incorrect I said? I'm not sure what you read sir (he was polite)... So i replied... So you mean to tell me if a light goes out the whole fixture needs to be replaced? yup he said... BS i said...

End of story: Airbag issue reprogrammed, my lights still flash, and I have no A/C.. FML! My SH-box ride went in clean and shiney and came out with mechanic or other finger prints all over the hood and front fender as well....icing on my Shi-cake...

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated at this point !

Thanks for reading,

Paul

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul what dealer is servicing your Tahoe here in South Florida?

Been dealing with Shumacher Chevrolet-GMC on North Lake Blvd in Palm Beach [where I bought my Hoe]which is completely out of my way..I am not comfortable with the dealers around me..Another member here in Fort Lauderdale really likes Ed Morse Chevrolet in Sunrise.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul,

I did get the condenser fixed for free by GM. I had no clue my ride had to be under 60k! I was at about 52k when I got it done.
As much of a pain it is, I would have paid the 1200 to 1600$ to get it fixed as I couldn't have A/C here in AZ.
What I find not acceptable is the level of service you are describing.
The problem with GM is their customer experience is still shit compared to lets say Lexus.
While my suburban is working fine now, I just don't feel any sort of luxury quality to their service/sale, and product.
I can go buy a CPO Lexus for 19k and the experience would be 100 times that of your average GM dealership.
Hard to justify when most 15+ GM Big suvs go anywhere between 35 to 75k$ used/new...