A/C compressor failure - 2015 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoredPencils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had my A/C compressor fail. Typically I am a DIYer, but I don't want to mess with freon and A/C work.

I'm out of my bumper to bumper (44k miles), but the dealer can't tell me if my power train warranty will cover the repair. They want me to bring it in and pay a $150 diagnostic fee before they can tell me if it will be covered.

Anyone have any idea? If this isn't covered, I'll order the parts myself and have a local shop make the repairs. I'm guessing the dealer will charge upwards of $1k for the repair, but if there is a chance they cover it under warranty I would prefer that (obviously).

The warranty description in the manual doesn't list the A/C system as covered or not covered, but I'm hopeful it's in the power train coverage as an engine accessory.

OP
OP
ColoredPencils

ColoredPencils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone wondering I had to pay for this repair out of pocket. System was completely void of freon and the compressor overheated and locked up. New compressor, system flush, and $1200 later....

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First question is why was the system out of refrigerant? There's a pressure switch to prevent the compressor from damage due to under or over charge so that doesn't really add up.....

OP
OP
ColoredPencils

ColoredPencils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree - No visible leaks, system pressure tested fine, and the hi/lo pressure switch tested fine. Not really sure what happened.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One type of failure that would match yours is the a/c clutch coil starts overheating which takes out the front bearing. Then the front seal goes bad and the freon leaks out. Or the front bearing just goes out from poor quality and then takes out the front compressor seal. Good by freon. Rest of system leak tests ok. Was the system leak tested before removing the compressor?

alvarofrenteria

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys this has been a common problem in this new generation Chevy, GMC, Cadillac ( Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukons) it looks that from factory they put to much charge in the system and this overcharge of freon is causing the following problems: Consensors are getting leaks in the fittings or joints and the Compressors are locking up. GM is not taking care of this unless you still have bumper to bumper warranty. My wife and I own two 2016 Yukon XL and Suburban and we had this problem. Actually just today 07/23 happened to the GMC Yukon XL, my suburban failed two months a go and I have to paid out of my pocket for all repairs. More than $1500. Both cars have been services always at the dealer but there is no collaboration from them. With our Yukon XL I did inspected the condensor from the grill and I can see that have the same leak that the suburban had. In going to attached pictures so you can see where they failed. Is a Shame that this cars are so expensive and are giving so much trouble to owners. 747c2e2c00097e18a36946db30311962.jpgIMG_5088.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alvarofrenteria

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Correction, we own two 2015 models. The pictures from my first post are from my suburban and the following two are from our YUKON XL. Knowing where they fail wasn't hard to find the leak. Both condensor in failed in the same side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ColoredPencils

ColoredPencils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll do a visual of my condenser and make sure I don't notice any leaks. I would hate to have the new compressor fail again in 6 months because of a leak that wasn't repaired. Thanks for the info.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compressor went out in my 2015 Tahoe a couple of weeks ago at 35k miles. Luckily it was still under warranty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh