97 z71 rearend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowbuilt_iv

Reaction score
I'm looking to convert my 5lug to 6 lug and make it posi vs. having a one wheel wonder, starting by trying to kill 2 birds with one stone with a z71 rearend swap on my 2wd. Are these factory posi? All or some? I was told a code to look for on it to identify if it were a posi or lsd..but I don't remember it..any info will be greatly appreciated bc he's selling me this stock rearend he replaced for $40..

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
If you come to wichita i can take you to get one off a 2dr. All 4x4 2drs have posi and are 6 lug. Gary misrer auto salvage has 2 2drs so come on down

OP
OP
slowbuilt_iv

slowbuilt_iv

Reaction score
Lol this one is coming complete for $40 and.here In town haha the GM store parts counter here at a dealership told me a code like G80 or something like that to look for...

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Ok well just make sure its not trashed i mean $40 sound too good to be true

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do NOT put a G80 in your truck, you will regret it. The G80 isn't a true posi, it's just a modified slip that puts all the torsional force of the driveshaft/axle on a small pin inside the diff when it locks up. That pin will break. I know someone on erected has a good video of it...

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4xd axle is wider than a 2wd axle. It's either 2" total or 2" per side.

Yeah and the 10bolt G80 is a bad idea

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G80's suck. You don't want to have one in a 10 bolt. And yes the 2wd and the 4wd rear axles are different sizes. I think it's 2 inches total, not per side. Not positive on that though

OP
OP
slowbuilt_iv

slowbuilt_iv

Reaction score
Wow ok! Well I was running around the idea of a "g80", but didn't actually think it was a actual coded rearend lol well I guess for most part of this one I'm getting is the 6 lug axles. But since all u guys are saying its a total 2" wider, that would obviously make the axles themselves longer per side. Being a noob, and that last statement made, how am I to convert the rear to 6 lug?

Wait! Just researched the idea. 95-96 heavy half, 2wd 6 lug. This should work, correct??

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would just buy a slip or locker IMO why the switch in the first place? you wouldnt be able to rotate your tires

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could work, I've never personally looked into that. However, why do you want to go 6lug? Like stated, you will not be able to rotate your tires ever. Or are you going to convert the front also?