96 tahoe electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quacklxgic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
recently bought a tahoe, runs and drives well but seems to have its fair share of electrical problems. the rear passenger side taillight running light works, but the blinker, reverse light, and brake light do not. after driving for some time the running light sometimes also will go out but comes back after turning lights on and off. i noticed the fusebox near the door was missing a lot of fuses, 2-6 for example. i plugged a 20a fuse into 3 because i wanted my interior lights to work, but the truck would hesitate to start when it was plugged in. any help would be much appreciated

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

The taillight assemblies on these trucks had socket board problems. Look around for new socket boards for the bulbs to plug in to. Check all your wiring to those socket boards while in there. The other problem sounds like something I would have to think about. Fresher brain tomorrow. What was the fuse labeled as that was/is causing the problems.

OP
OP
Q

quacklxgic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i recently replaced both boards and bulbs on both sides and the issue persisted, gonna check wiring again tomorrow. the fuse was a 20 amp and it was in the 3rd fuse slot, the CTSY (courtesy) slot i believe its called

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has a trailer harness, see how that looks. We had a 98 with some questionable “homemade” connections that caused blown fuses, loss of brake lights, interior lights and either the headlights or the running lights (I forget which).

OP
OP
Q

quacklxgic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: I think my fuses sorted themselves out, no problem anymore. Still have no blinker, reverse light, or brake light on the right rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar