95 yukon DEAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen brother. I don't pretend to know much about these vehicles, I'm more of a tpi guy, but I really do love learning about these rigs, and I enjoy the comraderie here of my fellow enthusiasts. I think we're all students here, some know more then others and we should embrace this valuable knowledge that's kindly shared with others. Google doesn't know everything!!

Haha we totally thread jacked this.
Hope Motownyukon get's the rig going lol.

I can offer some wisdom tho.
"It takes a Fool to admit he's a wise man and a wise man to admit hes a fool"
:cheers:

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds possibly like the ign switch. Or broken wires from the ignition switch in your tilt steering column or bad battery connections. I've replaced tons of ign switches on these but they usually turn the starter but don't fire.

If you routinely tilt your steering wheel there's the possibility the wires broke in between the switch at the key cylinder and the bulkhead connection at the bottom of the dash, behind the knee bolster.

More likely though is it's just dirty contacts in your ign switch.

The switch isn't powering up your VCM but separate contacts in your switch power the accessory circuit, so that is possibly why some things work and others not.

Last suggestion is a bad connection from the battery. This would allow low current to flow and let small loads work, such as your radio and maybe interior lights, but as soon as you put z big load on the cables, such as a starter motor, they do not have a good enough connection to flow enough amps to work.

I would start first with removing all battery connections and grounds and be sure they are clean and solid. A cable may look good but be corroded inside even though you can't see it.

If you eliminate the battery and cable connections I would look squarely at the ignition switch.

Good luck.
-Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MotownYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... yes, it IS in fact the IGN-A fuse that blew... I put another one in and that blew too... When I put the fuse in, all my dash lights came back, but as soon as I turned the key to crank, not only did the starter not do anything, the fuse blew immediately....

All wires and grounds were taken off wire brushed and put back on... I haven't crawled under the truck to check the starter wires cause the ground is wet, but am 8 on the right track here or am I shooting in the dark?

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... yes, it IS in fact the IGN-A fuse that blew... I put another one in and that blew too... When I put the fuse in, all my dash lights came back, but as soon as I turned the key to crank, not only did the starter not do anything, the fuse blew immediately....

All wires and grounds were taken off wire brushed and put back on... I haven't crawled under the truck to check the starter wires cause the ground is wet, but am 8 on the right track here or am I shooting in the dark?
Isn't your rig wired so you can remove the starter wire from the battery? I'd pop another fuse in and try turning the key if that's the case.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like the starter exciter wire is shorted to ground, if its not rubbed onto the block somewhere, the solenoid or motor has failed and is drawing to many amps.

OP
OP
M

MotownYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's the starter... I bought a new one because I thought the dragging while starting thing was because the starter was going bad... I removed the starter and put the new one on but it was still dragging like the battery was dying, so I put the original back on...

With that said, it started and drove fine for nearly a month and then this happens... the starter and its wires have been the only thing disturbed since I've owned the truck... besides new shocks on all 4 corners...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK