6l80 Torque Converter for Towing Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottbrew92

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 6l80 and think I’m going to have to replace the torque converter. Any recommendations on what the best would be for frequent towing?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're thinking of an OE-type solution, there was a version of the 6L90E that GM had the guts to couple with the detuned LGH version of the DuraMax.

I suspect that torque converter, or one meant to withstand a supercharged CTS-V, for example, would be slightly superior to the one in a 6L80E attached to a lesser engine.

There are likely superior aftermarket solutions; at which point the cost-to-benefit ratio is the issue.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Yukon Denali with the 6l80 and think I’m going to have to replace the torque converter. Any recommendations on what the best would be for frequent towing?
How heavy of a load will you be typically towing?

For most folks towing/hauling within or slightly beyond factory-engineered limits, something with a billet cover and .070" converter clutch at minimum. Circle D, Yank, Florida TC, TCI and many others to choose from. It may also be worth inquiring about a custom-low stall (as long as you don't have to stand on the brake pedal to keep it from moving at a stop) as well as exploring tuning options intended to optimize the powertrain control strategies for towing/hauling.

If you're thinking of an OE-type solution, there was a version of the 6L90E that GM had the guts to couple with the detuned LGH version of the DuraMax.

I suspect that torque converter, or one meant to withstand a supercharged CTS-V, for example, would be slightly superior to the one in a 6L80E attached to a lesser engine.

There are likely superior aftermarket solutions; at which point the cost-to-benefit ratio is the issue.
I believe the CTS-V converters stall at 2400 or so but could be wrong...If they are that high, wouldn't be ideal for towing as too much heat would build up and the lower stall gets heavier vehicles moving more efficiently.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I believe the CTS-V converters stall at 2400RpM or so but could be wrong.
If they are that high, wouldn't be ideal for towing as too much heat would build up and the lower stall gets heavier vehicles moving more efficiently.
With a supercharged 6.2L in a 4000lb car, when you wiggle your ityybitty toe, the car moves a wee lil bit.
In a 'hoe / 'bubba hauling a family & towing 9000lb of stuff, yeah, that same converter might stall @ 2400RpM, which'd be ridiculous.

So which torque converter is used by the LGH / 6L90E vans?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a supercharged 6.2L in a 4000lb car, when you wiggle your ityybitty toe, the car moves a wee lil bit.
In a 'hoe / 'bubba hauling a family & towing 9000lb of stuff, yeah, that same converter might stall @ 2400RpM, which'd be ridiculous.

So which torque converter is used by the LGH / 6L90E vans?
Regular JMBX. Stall is 1600-1800, I believe.

OP
OP
scottbrew92

scottbrew92

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, figured I’d try the flush at the dealer and surprisingly as bad as it was it totally worked…!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar