6.2L L94 & 6L80 into my 1992 Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I like listening to my own music. Radio has so many commercials I can't even listen to it.

Yeah, using tablets is starting to catch on. They are just recently bright enough with enough contrast to be usable. The dash program Im using is DashCommand, and I'm custom designing the skin. That's all the gauges and design you see there. A bluetooth dongle plugged into the ALDL Port sends all the information to the tablet.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, I like listening to my own music. Radio has so many commercials I can't even listen to it.

Yeah, using tablets is starting to catch on. They are just recently bright enough with enough contrast to be usable. The dash program Im using is DashCommand, and I'm custom designing the skin. That's all the gauges and design you see there. A bluetooth dongle plugged into the ALDL Port sends all the information to the tablet.

Wow that is extremely intriguing!! You've got me very interested to see what the final product will look like when you're done!

Steveman2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So when you're completely done with this swap on yours I'll just fly you out to Minnesota for a week or two and you'd help me with my swap right? :Get him!:

Also, if you do end up making that awesome skin for your gauges, please save it so I may save myself the pain of trying to make it again :p I'd gladly pay hahaha...

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minnesota? Hawaii, maybe... :)

Absolutely I'll post the skin. I'm posting this thread as paying it forward for all of the help I received preparing to do this swap. I only ask that others who get help from this thread post their own experiences to help the next guy.

Steveman2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey if it makes you feel better it'd be in the summer, when there's a smaller chance of those annoying white icy flakes... besides, it'd be just as hot as Hawaii hahaha.

If you don't mind my asking, what have your costs been so far? Both for parts and for any labor that you've had done. I'm hoping my ballpark of $20k is a bit high....:Insane:

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, the cost can vary pretty widely. My costs are on the high end because I'm doing a complete restore and going further than is required. When I'm done I'll have 30K into it, but that's new everything and most of it factory. (Interior & paint included.)

You can go the minimum necessary route--absolutely nothing wrong with that--or you can go all out. Or, anywhere in between. I will say it's going to cost more than what most people plan on. Figure out all of your costs, and add 25%. There will be a ton of expenses you just can't foresee, unless you've done a number of these. I mean hell, I spent close to 1K on fuel lines/fittings, tranny and engine oil cooling. Factory evap cost a bunch by the time I was done. I spent probably $500 on stuff that ended up not using. If you try and get all factory systems/emissions running, there will be expenses. Some of those costs can be lessened by learning from my mistakes, but their will be unanticipated expenses.

Sorry though, I've spent much time in Minnesota in the Summer. Not fun at all. WAY too humid. Hawaii is MUCH nicer! :) Besides, the surfing sucks in MN. :)

Steveman2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha yeah, I can agree that it is VERY humid here in the summer. And the surfing here is great! If you count being towed behind a boat :p

As far as what I'm planning, its very similar to yours as I want to keep VVT and DOD and all those fun extras like tow/haul and maybe even the manual gear selector (might need a new shift lever haha) And I also want to do a full restore, but there's a lot that I'm still on the fence about, like gauges and audio and the like. Plus my build will be slightly different than yours since mine is '95 with a 4L60e, but I'm hopeful that all will end well haha.

Other than that... how's it drive so far? Any major differences compared to your old 350? I'd love to see a video or some pictures haha... I have so many questions that it's tough restraining myself (I haven't done a very good job of that have I? Oops... :p )

OP
OP
N

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get some pics and video up soon!

It drives SO much better. I love the 6L80. The power is ridiculous. Theoretically, it should get better gas mileage around town, but it is WAY harder to drive it with restraint. Before if I floored it it made a lot of noise and really didn't do all that much. Now, put your foot half way down and she flies. God help me once it's broken in...

I believe your year has cable shifting? That should make it easier to use a 2012 shift lever with the tap shifting. I'm not sure what ABS you have. The '92 is independent from the ECM so it's pretty easy to keep. If yours isn't independent you'll need to keep the old ECM to keep ABS.

Seriously consider a 14 Bolt semi floater rear end swap if you're going to run a 6.2L.

Last edited:

Steveman2000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hahaha I totally understand the restraint thing... especially since I'm only 18 :Good or Bad:

That engine is DBW correct? I forget from your earlier posts, so it would do me no good to keep it for any purpose other than AC and the lights...unless you have a solution?:) And I have no clue on ABS haha.. except mine always seems to not want to work whenever I need it.

With all of that said...the 350 is definitely a noise-maker only. I floor it and nothing happens, but I borrow my mom's minivan (So cool right?) and mash the pedal, I can squeal the tires with traction control left on :poker: please don't tell her lol

I've been considering a 14 bolt swap, but I'm not sure what all would be involved with that. I know that you've done one, along with a Truetrac diff (I have an open diff, fml) maybe once you're done going over your entire engine swap with me you could just start a new thread just to explain your axle swap and hidden winch and anything else I might want to also "take advantage" of hahahaha....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts