50K Maintenance - Which Fluids to Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mccullionj

Reaction score
So my Denali is ready for it's 50K maintenance and I'm looking to see what you guys thing for fluids when changing out the transmission fluid/filter, diff fluid, etc...

I'm thinking Amsoil, Royal Purple, or maybe Lucas?

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good options! Everyone will have their favorite brand. Just make sure they meet GM specs if you have a powertrain warranty left over.

red02chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the dealership and get genuine GM fluids and filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mccullionj

mccullionj

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of "Vehicle Company Specific" parts. I guess over the years I've just seen too many times that they don't put enough engineering and analysis into things. Tend to see the aftermarket products being more well engineered in order to overcome the deficiencies in the stock parts/supplies.

Anyone have any experience with the AMSOIL Fuel Efficient ATF (says it's the replacement for the "GM required" Dexron).

I use all AMSOIL in my Powerstroke so I think I'm leaning towards that for this instance as well.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 synthetic for the front and rear diffs. For the transfer case and transmission I used GM fluid and filter (transmission).

In the past, I have had issues with aftermarket fluids in the transmission. Nothing serious, just harder\notchy shifting that went away when I just used OEM.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used RP in the diff. The tranny I have not done yet. RP told me if you don't use GM tranny fluid it will void your warranty?

OP
OP
mccullionj

mccullionj

Reaction score
So just talked to the stealership and they said that they don't even pull the diff covers when they change the fluids. And they also don't drop the tranny pan and change the filter...they just "do a flush" for $125....they said it's not recommended.

Why would they not drop the pan and change the filter?

Also, they are recommending a fuel system maintenance. From my understanding you don't really need it since there's detergents in fuel already. What's the benefit of getting it done (it's like $200 which seems ridiculous since I can just buy stuff to pour in the tank then change the filters a week later after it's all cleaned out).

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diffs - I did not pull the cover off the rear. Just loosened to remove fluid and retightened to fill (no rear drain plug!). The front has a drain plug.

Transfer Case - Use drain and fill plugs.

Tranny - FYI I had my tranny flushed and the filter changed at the dealer for ~$155.

IMO if you use good gas a fuel system flush is not necessary at 50k.

OP
OP
mccullionj

mccullionj

Reaction score
Another question for everyone out there:

What are the quantities of fluid needed for Transmission, Differentials, Transfer Case. I'm getting different amounts from the dealer and from the parts store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts