5.7 Vortec EGR Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nomad

Reaction score
I started the intake manifold gasket replacement because of the "dreaded coolant leak" that started last week. I figured I would send the intake out for a good cleaning and noticed a great deal of carbon for the front 2 left and right cylinders.

Upon close inspection I noticed I could draw air thru the egr valve. I would really like to get rid of the egr valve completely and have found kits to do this.

My question is has anyone done it and what success did you have, did the computer throw codes?

I was also thinking of just making a block off plate then bolt the egr valve directly on top of it using studs.

Looking for working ideas. Thanks :)

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
yea its possible. In order not to throw codes, you could get the EGR taken off by say "blackbear" or other people to tune pcms.
Now depending on where you live as far as state emissions or anything, you would have to check it out.
Also getting rid of your egr is going to take a toll on highway mpgs...

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it as it doesn't affect power but a functioning EGR will help with fuel mileage somewhat. The SES light won't come on right away but it will after a few trips. Only reason I got rid of mine because the headers I bought didn't have the necessary fitting for the feed tube. I had all the EGR functions deleted in the PCM.

Low97tahoE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
get rid of it, all it does is dirty up the intake....u can buy a block off plate off of ebay, the sellers name is billet somethin....cant remember exactly but the title of the auction will have the words vortec and s10 in it.....just type in egr block off and u will find it....i bought the block off plate and installed it right after i got my truck tuned...the tuner deleted the egr in the pcm so it wouldnt throw a code...havent noticed any decrease in mpg....if i drive slow and careful i can get around 16.0-16.5 mpg with mixed city/highway

OP
OP
nomad

nomad

Reaction score
Must agree with Bryan about the EGR really trashing up in inside of the intake with carbon, but I am curious why taking it off would affect highway mileage.

I did find a number of block off's and other solutions. One that I find real interesting and I might try is the EGR restrictor (available thru custom_billet_machine_works one ebay) that allow the egr to remain in place but chokes it down.

Perhaps this might be the best of both world?

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I understand it works is that at light throttle inputs the EGR valve opens 'X' amount and the PCM bumps up the timing 'X' amount of degrees. The inert exhaust gasses help keep the engine from detonating. More timing = better mpg, to an extent

OP
OP
nomad

nomad

Reaction score
The way I understand it works is that at light throttle inputs the EGR valve opens 'X' amount and the PCM bumps up the timing 'X' amount of degrees. The inert exhaust gasses help keep the engine from detonating. More timing = better mpg, to an extent

Makes sense, thanks for that explaination. I guess you learn something everyday.

Lends to the theory that using a restrictor plate might be the best of both worlds! :Handshake:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam is so ****** cheap and quick thing to do...just keep it and seafoam at will!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard mixed opinions on this subject. I have chosen to leave mine be, from what I have read they are fine and dont hinder much on the performance side.

ff40,

Seafoam is so cheap and quick thing to do...just keep it and seafoam at will!

Here, I fixed it. No need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10