5.7 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
So I've been on the hunt all day looking for a motor and I agree with 961500 that I should stick with the original motor that came out of the truck just for an easier and less stressful swap. I found a 96 5.7 short block on Craigslist today but I pulled off my heads and found that they are going to need to be machined because they've been sitting for awhile. I think after machining the heads, and all new gaskets I would run around $1000 anyways. So I located a 97 5.7 in another city for $1000cdn with 3month warranty which I guess is the best I'm going to find in short notice....wish me luck!

Miami-Yukon

'96 Z71 YUKON 2DR
Reaction score
I just bought a Remn from Advance Auto Parts.... complete long block, including valve covers, timing cover & oil pan installed.... comes with all the gaskets needed too!!!!

$1640 + tax..... PART NO. VCH4

They won't sell you it if you just ask them, so if you do tell them you want the exact part #, they will need your original blown motor as a core though....

Here is a pic... I should have it in and running this weekend, except I am gonna paint the block and heads Chevy Orange.... I like it that way!!! Old school!! lol

DSCN14211.jpg

OH and it somes with a BIRTH CERTIFICTE!!! Which I'm hanging up in the garage when it's installed :rofl:

DSCN14201.jpg

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
Yoo that's dope haha, what would they need my cracked block as a core for :p but yeah if I had an extra $1000 and the time to wait I would pick that up, not a bad price at all actually. But I need this thing running before the snow hits because up here in BC, it can get pretty bad!

OP
OP
P

project96

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up the motor the guy let it go for $795! Good deal I'd say but it is kind of rusty so I'm bustin all the rust off and giving it a coat of paint. Anyways, I noticed a few things different from this motor and the original motor in my truck. So I took down the casting number which was 10243880 and it said 5.7lg sgi. I read up and everywhere I look it's saying this is a Crate motor....Is this true? Cuz it came out of a 97 Savanna Van lol I don't know who would throw a Crate motor in a Savanna. But yeah let me know what I picked up....Thanks guys would appreciate the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr

Latest posts