5.7 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeG1302

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone help me i am replacing my 5.7 engine in my 99 Chevrolet Tahoe and the new engine has a oil cooler and mine has a transmission cooler should i hook both coolers on the radiator or should I cap off the oil cooler at the engine.tia

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably just cap it off. Engine oil coolers were more common on the 2500/3500 trucks and 2500 SUVs as towing packages. I guess some 1500s also had them? They also tend to leak from several places (at the engine block and at the crimps) over the years and you wind up with a huge mess if you don't correct the issue early.

In your case, you have to replace the radiator with the one that had that option, and buy the cooler lines (I'm assuming those lines are still available for that vehicle(?) IDK). Capping is cheaper/easier.

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your engine idles for extended lengths of time, or works or plays HARD,
there's no need for any engine cooling provisions ...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Yea, cap or do without the oil cooler. Do you tow with your Tahoe?

OP
OP
M

MikeG1302

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you
Probably just cap it off. Engine oil coolers were more common on the 2500/3500 trucks and 2500 SUVs as towing packages. I guess some 1500s also had them? They also tend to leak from several places (at the engine block and at the crimps) over the years and you wind up with a huge mess if you don't correct the issue early.

In your case, you have to replace the radiator with the one that had that option, and buy the cooler lines (I'm assuming those lines are still available for that vehicle(?) IDK). Capping is cheaper/easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck