5.3 L59, No Oil Pressure Due to Sludge, Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand--out of all the maintenance, other then changing the air filter--changing the oil is one of the easiest things to do. Just pay someone if you don't want to do it yourself.
Some people are just absolutely clueless.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, trying to save it. Breaks my heart that this would be the end of the truck for me.

Put a gallon and a half diesel and trans fluid in the crankcase and turned it over without the fuel pump relay a few times. Going to repeat a few more times and give it until Sunday evening and see where that gets me. Last ditch effort to get this thing going.

I did crank it up earlier since it has some oil pressure. Was able to get it to about 20psi at 1500rpm, didn't take it up to operating temp though, still below spec but its movin' at least. Definite bottom end tick at idle, but not knocking. When i pulled the oil drain plug there was very minimal metal shavings on it, and it didn't smoke when running, its unlikely that its burning through a bearing at this point. Keeping my fingers, toes, and dicks crossed that this works - but I'm not expecting it to.
Don't worry about a little tick at idle you got bigger issues to worry about at this point. Mine use to tick at idle for ten years.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Silly question, and I assume it was done. But, to humor me, when was the oil filter changed in all this?

Changed 3 times now, one ACD PF46 before initial startup, and two cheapo CarQuest ones during the flushing at the shop. Ill be putting another PF46 on it once the diesel flush is done and fresh oil is added.

Don't worry about a little tick at idle you got bigger issues to worry about at this point. Mine use to tick at idle for ten years.
If its a tick due to oil starvation I'm gunna go ahead an keep worrying about it. Should go away with proper pressure, just hoping it doesnt get louder or turn into a knock.

Ughh, someone went way beyond oil change intervals!

Yep, along with an overheat or two and probably some water entry. An oil change is $60 and lasts 3-5k miles, tank of gas costs $65 and is gone in 300 miles...someone was stupid and lazy and/or horrible at math.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 engines can be pretty cheap used. Personally I wound not waste my time with that labor or engine. Swapping the motor is easier and cheaper and you will know prior what you have. 800-1200 for a 5.3 -2 days labor and your back on the road.

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welp still insufficient oil pressure.

Let a diesel fuel and transmission fluid mixture sit in it and manually turned the engine over a few times over the weekend in hopes to knock some sludge loose. When I drained it i saw no debris in in, added new oil and filter, started it up and oil pressure jumped to 20psi idle right away (my heart was racing), then steadily dropped back down to 4 once it warmed up a bit. Major blockage and or a bearing/tolerance failure. Sad day, but I have a local buyer for it already, and am stealing all of the fun parts off of it for another NBS project one day.

I know how cheap (by comparison) a swap would be, but I don't have the room/tooling/time to do it myself. With no spare car to drive in the meantime, and the lady fed up with it, we went out and bought a very nice used 2015 Yukon SLT. Hate to give up on this one - doesn't sit totally right with the mechanic in me - but its just how it went this time around. Best believe I'll be pulling a valve cover ASAP on the new Yukon to verify its been well cared for.

Change your oil and pay attention to what your rig is telling you, folks.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Welp still insufficient oil pressure.

Let a diesel fuel and transmission fluid mixture sit in it and manually turned the engine over a few times over the weekend in hopes to knock some sludge loose. When I drained it i saw no debris in in, added new oil and filter, started it up and oil pressure jumped to 20psi idle right away (my heart was racing), then steadily dropped back down to 4 once it warmed up a bit. Major blockage and or a bearing/tolerance failure. Sad day, but I have a local buyer for it already, and am stealing all of the fun parts off of it for another NBS project one day.

I know how cheap (by comparison) a swap would be, but I don't have the room/tooling/time to do it myself. With no spare car to drive in the meantime, and the lady fed up with it, we went out and bought a very nice used 2015 Yukon SLT. Hate to give up on this one - doesn't sit totally right with the mechanic in me - but its just how it went this time around. Best believe I'll be pulling a valve cover ASAP on the new Yukon to verify its been well cared for.

Change your oil and pay attention to what your rig is telling you, folks.

When you say "The Lady is fed up" I know exactly what you mean. If it is any consolation I let a pretty nice NBS Suburban go because of a long list of small items that would have been easily fixed because it was becoming a burden to be constantly be wrenching on it instead of my other responsibilities. The mechanic in me didn't want to let it go. But. the mechanic in me is happy with my NNBS Suburban and the minor upgrades and repairs I need to make.

Enjoy the new ride!

OP
OP
RedRadioFlyer

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say "The Lady is fed up" I know exactly what you mean. If it is any consolation I let a pretty nice NBS Suburban go because of a long list of small items that would have been easily fixed because it was becoming a burden to be constantly be wrenching on it instead of my other responsibilities. The mechanic in me didn't want to let it go. But. the mechanic in me is happy with my NNBS Suburban and the minor upgrades and repairs I need to make.

Enjoy the new ride!

Lol shes just tired of me dumping money and time into loud old trucks, I've daily driven a '90 K5, built NBS Sierra, and this Tahoe since we met 7yr ago and shes just over it. Yeah so far this Yukon is outstanding, and we got a loaded one for a great price compared to the market, so I'm happy with that. I've never had payments though, and was not planning on taking any on for a very long time so this is an unexpected shock to the wallet. Plus it just doesn't drive like a truck like I'm used to, so I'll miss that. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz