4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Ok. When I bought the truck, I tested the 4wd, and it worked on dry pavement. I took it out into the Cascades this weekend, and when I put it in 4wd, it really fights itself. The steering wheel pushes left/right, and it feels like it bogs down a little, like I'm going through some mud, or something. Guessing my diffs are geared different, front vs. back. Anyone got any expeience with this? I assume that any 4wd problems will be worse on pavement, right?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was geared differently it would shred the front or rear gears, especially on pavement.

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Ok, the plot thickens. On wet pavement yesterday, I put it in 4wd, and what is happening in the front end- one wheel turns faster, then the other wheel turns faster, back and forth evenly. My output shaft seals are also blown, so I'm sure the front diff is low on oil. Are these diffs equipped with hydraulic limited slip, or something crazy? I don't think this is a gearing issue.

For now, it runs great (finally) in 2wd, so the wife is doing fine until I can get it over to the dad-in-law's who has a shop equipped to remove the front diff, pull the output shafts, etc. Probably on the 22nd. In other news, I've either blown the heads or rings in my beloved blazer, and the battery died in my bike. So all of my rigs are now sucking. WTF.