2001 Tahoe 4wd theory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
I’m looking at using a 2001 Tahoe as the basis for a project. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what happens when you push the “4wd” button?

I used to have a 2002, but I don’t recall if it had a BCM or any other annoying computers like the newer ones do. What I’m trying to do eventually is transfer a classic truck body onto this chassis, keep the drivetrain with a neutered wiring harness and minimal computer controls. I’m going to ditch ABS, traction control, etc.

Thanks for any help, this is going to be a big project.

Ed

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the 'Auto 4WD' button, or the '4Hi' button?

'Auto 4WD' waits for brief rear wheel slip before temporarily engaging the front wheels.
Once it thinks everything is ok, it puts the front wheels back on standby.
In theory, you could stay in RWD so long as road conditions are good.

'4Hi' is permanent 4wheel drive.
Avoid use unless traction is less than ideal - raining badly or worse.

OP
OP
2015TahoePPV

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
I’m wanting to be able to select 4Hi or 4LO and have the system work as designed. I think “auto” would rely on the ABS computer, which I wasn’t planning to keep. I messaged Painless wiring also.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at using a 2001 Tahoe as the basis for a project. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what happens when you push the “4wd” button?

I used to have a 2002, but I don’t recall if it had a BCM or any other annoying computers like the newer ones do. What I’m trying to do eventually is transfer a classic truck body onto this chassis, keep the drivetrain with a neutered wiring harness and minimal computer controls. I’m going to ditch ABS, traction control, etc.

Thanks for any help, this is going to be a big project.

Ed
should be no auto and no traction control on a 2001, there would only be abs. in other words no nannies except abs

OP
OP
2015TahoePPV

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
Is there anything that happens with the front hubs/ differential? I’m wondering what “tells” the transfer case and front axle to lock everything in 4wd.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 'auto' would rely on the ABS computer, which I wasn’t planning to keep.
No clue whether or not an ABS control module is needed to properly use 'Auto 4WD'.
I'd be pleasantly surprised to find that an ABS computer is not needed for 'Auto 4WD'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz