4wd not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hangontight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, new member here, first time post.

So, I have an '02 Suburban LS and the 4WD has not been working for some time. The buttons all function properly, I know this because when I push them I can hear the transfer case shift motor and the front differential actuator operate. Even though I can hear the motors doing something, I'm not getting power to the front wheels (or at least not getting much);

I put the truck up on 4 jack stands. When in 2WD, I put the truck in drive and both the front and rear driveshafts turn. The rear wheels turn, but the fronts do not.

When I switch to 4 high, I can hear the transfer case shift motor make noise, as well as the front diff actuator. When up on the stands, the front wheels DO turn when I put the truck in drive. However, when on pavement, they don't bind going around corners on dry pavement and they don't hook up when driving on snow covered road....thus I don't think they're getting any power (even though they were turning when up on jack stands). This same situation holds true in the 4 AUTO setting as well as 4 LOW.

I guess my question is this: Even thought the front driveshaft is turning (in both 2WD and 4WD), is there a chance that it's not getting any useful power to it? Is this the reason it also turns in 2WD?

Ac19513

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem. as far as the computer system is concerned the truck is in 4x4 but its really not. haven't put on jack stands yet to confirm but i am pretty sure the TC is shot.

Ac19513

Reaction score
i replaced my front actuator thinking maybe it was weak, but didn't change anything still no 4wd,no codes,lights indicate its in 4wd.

OP
OP
H

hangontight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i replaced my front actuator thinking maybe it was weak, but didn't change anything still no 4wd,no codes,lights indicate its in 4wd.
I am fairly confident mine is a worn out transfer case. The only other thing that I thought it could be is the transfer case control module. I believe the TCCM sends a signal to the TC (after that actuators have locked in the front half shafts) to tell the TC to supply full power to the front driveshaft....If this is somehow not happening it could be the culprit.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your certin the front diff is locking in? With the front end in the air, KOEO in 4x4 do both front wheels spin when you turn one tire?

Ac19513

Reaction score
wont be able to check that till friday. i am leaning away from my case. it makes no weird noises and no leaks. should the front shaft be locked in also at this time?

Last edited:

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nodoubt, their is a clutch pack in their for the autotrac.. and they do fail, have you looked at your fluid by any chance?
Burnt smelling? The color?

Ac19513

Reaction score
Sorry hangontight not trying to jack your thread.

was planning on doing that this weekend also. will also look for any metal. what fluid is best to put back in and how much?

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry hangontight not trying to jack your thread.

was planning on doing that this weekend also. will also look for any metal. what fluid is best to put back in and how much?

Depends on the tcase. the autotrac ones require acdelco autoTrac fluid, blue in color. floor shift and non "auto" button tcases use Dextron3 ATF.

You will want to grab 3qt

Ac19513

Reaction score
I have auto 4wd so the ac Delco is what I'll need. thanks so much. will post results by the end of the weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesley e