4wd not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ac19513

Reaction score
So i had the opportunity to lift the front end of the hoe today here is what i found
2hi-each wheel spins freely drive shaft does not turn, i can turn it freely by hand
4hi-wheels turn together and drive shaft is locked into the tcase and not the front end
seems like something in the front dif is not right

Last edited:

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i had the opportunity to lift the front end of the hoe today here is what i found
2hi-each wheel spins freely drive shaft does not turn, i can turn it freely by hand
4hi-wheels turn together and drive shaft is locked into the tcase and not the front end
seems like something in the front dif is not right

So with the front end in the air in 4hi your wheels spin in opposite directions with out the pinion moving? Thats normal operation of the spider gears and your actuator is working buy connecting the RH to the Diff, What you want to try is having the wheels spin in the same direction. If it spins the shaft against the tcase in park the clutch pack has gone bad in the T-case. Maybe not bad enough to spin freely by hand but with the gear reduction though the diff it may show

Ac19513

Reaction score
yes they spin opposite. i tried to get both wheels to turn the same way when in 4hi but couldnt. i tried this when i had it in the air and it was in park. i thought that even in 2hi the driveshaft would rotate with the front wheels?

Last edited:

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drive shaft will free wheel because the LH wheel is connected to the diff full time, so when moving forward its spinning the pinion. Mechanically it sounds like everything is doing what it should. I wonder if the actuator isn't doing its job? Try cycling it through 4 and lo and mash the pedal on a slippery surface

Ac19513

Reaction score
i will try that again as soon as i can. but like i said in previous post i replaced the front actuator.

Ac19513

Reaction score
any idea if the front driveshaft should be locked into the front differential at all times?

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The left hand wheel is full time in the diff, when you spin the front shaft by hand in 2wd it should spin the front left wheel. But if you spin the wheel it wont turn the drive shaft because spider gears rotate inside the ring gear carrier.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad man, the diff will spin around the side gears its not a locker diff lol, it needs both sides to make engagement on the carrier. Try taking the shaft off the front pinion and putting it in 4x4 then see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lady112210