4L80 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon702

Reaction score
I have a 2008 4l80..its actually a 4l85 because of the 5 planetary gears, but most people say this isn't a weak link for the 80e anyway. I've seen some builders like Jakes prefer the older cases but he does a lot of custom touches to his, but I like having the split cooling lines on the newer cases. There are some issues that may be exposed after the 7-800hp mark, but as of now my cammed 6.0 doesn't seem to make my trans break a sweat..I would recommend a reprogram kit or dual feeding the trans to get the full holding potential out of it.
Yeah that's what I've been told that the split cooling has better flow and the 4l80s were revised in 2002 so from that year on up you are getting the best model.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how the gearing is on the 4l80. It has a taller first gear than the 4l60, just wondering how the 5.3 will hold up getting the rig moving
1st gear in the 80 is a split between 1st and 2nd in the 60e. 2nd gear is a closer ratio so your engine doesnt drop as much rpm on the 1-2 shift which makes it feel like you carry more momentum. The one thing that will make the 80e feel like a dog is if you use the factory converter. It's very heavy, but some have a higher 2500 stall point... O/D is actually a little shorter so you turn a few more rpms on the hwy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n