4L60E torque converter to flexplate gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I am replacing my 4L60E transmission. A friend and I removed the original transmission. I didn't remove the torque converter from the flexplate (my friend did) and so don't know what the original gap was between the two when the converter was pushed back into the transmission for removal.

Now I'm installing another 4L60E transmission and once I seat the torque converter I'm noticing a gap of about 1/2" between the flexplate and the torque converter. I pulled the torque converter up to the flexplate and then put in the 3 bolts.

This transmission works now but leaks out of the torque converter / front pump area. I'm not sure exactly where.

Could this be due to the 1/2" that I had to pull the torque converter to the flexplate?

Or is it the front pump seal that is leaking?

Should I get this kit to fix the leak?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-Pump-...up-/121604680404?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Or could the leak be caused by something else?

Also, is there a way to bench test the transmission to make sure it isn't leaking at the front pump before re-installation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Truck: 1996 Yukon 5.7L 4X4

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

The tranny came from a 1996 Chevy Tahoe (1-piece K case).

I had to remove the tranny from my Yukon again because of the leak.

I took it to a tranny shop and the guy resealed the front pump and replaced the bushing.

I purchased a new torque converter as the one I had was scored on the shaft.

I also installed a new rear main seal and new flexplate.

I properly seated the torque converter by spinning it and hearing two clicks as I pushed it into the transmission.

I then reinstalled the tranny and had the same 1/2" gap between the torque converter and the flexplate. I pulled the torque converter towards the flexplate and bolted it up.

Everything now works and there is no leak.

So the initial leak was due to a worn front pump bushing and worn front pump gasket.

OP
OP
J

Jukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turns out the 1/2" gap is normal. I installed the transmission and it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA