4L60 Types and Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to rebuild a 4l60 for my 08 tahoe and i was wondering what the differences are between all the different years. I have two that were behind a 97 and a 98 both 305's, i know the bellhousing is different. I'm just curious how different they are and if i could rebuild and older one with new parts, specifically 2008.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to rebuild a 4l60 for my 08 tahoe and i was wondering what the differences are between all the different years. I have two that were behind a 97 and a 98 both 305's, i know the bellhousing is different. I'm just curious how different they are and if i could rebuild and older one with new parts, specifically 2008.
The front and rear gear set will interchange, as will the reverse input drum, output shaft, low reverse piston and return spring...In the forward drum, the clutch packs are the same; the input sprag assembly is exactly the same between the 1998 and 2008 units; the 1997 and earlier units used a detached front sun gear-sprag set up but they will prospectively install into any year 4L60E 1998 and up as a service pack.

Your bell housing, pump, valve body, input drum itself (specifically the input shaft), separator plate, wiring harness are all different and WILL NOT interchange between 1997/1998 and 2008.

What's wrong (if anything) with the 2008 4L60E in the Tahoe now?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a source that has most differences covered:

That's overall units compatability. Not sure about mixing and matching internals...

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those reading through the above-posted LS1 Tech thread, the main contributors are Vorteciroc and MaroonMonsterLS1, both former General Motors powertrain engineers who worked extensively on the 4L60E and 4L80E so know those transmissions backwards and forwards. They are great sources of information for those transmissions.

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The transmission in the Tahoe now is still behaving good I just want to swap in a working transmission when this one goes. I'd rather not have to leave the truck on the lift while I rebuild it's trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts