4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

findog78

Reaction score
I procrastinated long enough my rears are making noise. Figured good time to see for myself and upgrade fronts at the same time. I went with Power Stop tow rotors, pads, and stainless lines. When I went to order front calipers they are back ordered everywhere for days and out of stock for miles. Thinking someone may have bought a set and got cold feet or just changed their mind and sitting on shelf for me to purchase? ;)

Logan5

Reaction score
Started my big brake upgrade today. I knew I was in for trouble but I like challenges. So I have the stock 17" Z71 rims.

In order to get the calipers to fit I had to grind down the ridge on the top of the calipers, as some others have done, and I needed a 1/4" wheel spacer.

I don't care for wheel spacers but 1/4" is minimal so I felt OK with that. I used a single 2mm stainless washer to space the caliper. The caliper is not centered on the rotors, it is offset a little back, which allowed me to get away with using a single 1/4" wheel spacer.

My brain went a little crazy at first, but after some thought I do not think the caliper being slightly off-center matters. The pistons on the calipers will extends and contact the rotors, and the pressure on both sides should be equal.

I was worried about the wheel spacer, so I took some measurements with a digital caliper and I calculate that with a 1/4" wheel spacer I lost 15% of my thread engagement.

So I am running 85% of my threads on all 6 lugs. A little worrisome but not enough to deter me. Maybe I will get longer studs, but for now I am up and running.

Road test went great, brakes feel great. Next time I hitch up the boat I will see if it was all worth it.

IMG_2368.JPGIMG_2370.JPGIMG_2378.JPG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about the wheel spacer, so I took some measurements with a digital caliper and I calculate that with a 1/4" wheel spacer I lost 15% of my thread engagement.

Isn't there a considerable amount of threaded shank protruding from the lug nut when it's tightened? Or, do you lose that plus whatever amount to equal that 15% reduction in thread engagement?

Road test went great, brakes feel great. Next time I hitch up the boat I will see if it was all worth it.

View attachment 369030View attachment 369031View attachment 369032

Have a good side shot showing the whole truck with them installed and behind the wheels?

Logan5

Reaction score
Isn't there a considerable amount of threaded shank protruding from the lug nut when it's tightened? Or, do you lose that plus whatever amount to equal that 15% reduction in thread engagement?

There is an unthreaded section at the top of the lug, as well as an unthreaded section at the top of the nut, so I had to device a method to accurately get these measurements.

Here is what I did. First I put the nut on the stud to where the first thread would catch. Then I measured the depth of the hole.

IMG_2373.JPG

The first place I can catch a thread is at 13mm.

Then I put the tire on and measured again.

IMG_2375.JPG

The depth at .3mm means I have 12.7mm of thread engagement.

Now I need to know what the full thread depth is, so I put a bolt in reverse to where it would catch a thread and measured again from the bottom.

IMG_2376.jpg

14.8mm is the total thread depth of the nut.

12.7/14.8 = .858 or about ~%85.

Have a good side shot showing the whole truck with them installed and behind the wheels?

Logan5

Reaction score

My rims have a lot of coverage and don't make for pretty shots, also the aesthetic of my vehicle is a work in progress.

IMG_2381.JPG

Here is the other side:

IMG_2380.JPG

And here is a clearance shot.

IMG_2379.jpg

!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an unthreaded section at the top of the lug, as well as an unthreaded section at the top of the nut, so I had to device a method to accurately get these measurements.

Here is what I did. First I put the nut on the stud to where the first thread would catch. Then I measured the depth of the hole.

View attachment 369104

The first place I can catch a thread is at 13mm.

Then I put the tire on and measured again.

View attachment 369105

The depth at .3mm means I have 12.7mm of thread engagement.

Now I need to know what the full thread depth is, so I put a bolt in reverse to where it would catch a thread and measured again from the bottom.

View attachment 369106

14.8mm is the total thread depth of the nut.

12.7/14.8 = .858 or about ~%85.
Huh, I never noticed that unthreaded section of the nut. I am sure its fine, but that would probably make me nervous.

HansJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will not work with the Declads, I know 100%

I have declads and thats why I sold my set up.
Well damn. I just read that and my happy feelings left. I just got 2015 LTZ wheels and had them powder coated. Did you have the 5 or 6 spoke? And where wouldn’t it clear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts