What should I do???

• Used 3.42 rear end and flash ECU

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Used 3.42 rear end and swap to 3.08 R&P

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep OE rear end and change visually damaged parts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum...purchased a CPO '15 Suburban LT on 3/6/16...got in a wreck on 3/29/16 when an idiot ran a red light. Driver's rear tire took the direct hit and the rear end needs replacing. Body shop/insurance found a part number for an entire rear end assembly from Chevrolet, ordered it...but it never came. Long story short, Chevrolet has a part number and pricing for the entire assembly but they don't sell it. The body shop was able to source an entire used rear end from LKQ, but it has 3.42 gearing vs the 3.08 which my truck has. It seems to me like the best course of action right now, rather than trying to replace bent axles, bearings, seals, etc on the rear end in the truck. Seems like I have 3 options:

Install the 3.42 rear end. Buy a programmer, enjoy the performance bump and change the programming for the gear ratio so the speedo and odo are correct. I'm ok with this...but what would the MPG hit be? Has anyone else done this on a '15? I've changed FD ratios on race cars but never on a street vehicle.

Other option would be to order the 3.42 rear end and swap out the ring and pinion with my OE parts...hoping they didn't get damaged by the side impact.

Last option would be to replace the bent axle, bearings, seals on the drivers side and pray there is nothing else wrong.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well your first month im betting your mpg will suck as #1 you will be getting used to the new gearing #2 the inability to keep your foot out of it lol. After that i dont think your mpg will be too bad. You could skip the cost of a programmer for a while and just have gm reflash it for a 3.42 oem programming. My only other thoughts would be my lack of knowledge on the newer gm trucks as im not sure if yours is 4wd. If it is you would have to change the gears in the fronr also.

OP
OP
L

latapx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry...left that part out...RWD so no need to change front differntial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasahigh303