2025 yukon debut and predictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 2024 Tahoe this January and it's my first GM purchase ever. I have been really pleased with the Tahoe and one of the reasons I switched from another brand is that Chevy still offered a V8 ride and the smooth suspension. Does anyone know if GM will continue to offer a V8 with the next generation of Tahoes and Yukons? It seems all other manufacturers are moving to the twin-turbo V6.
The refresh coming in ‘25 will still offer the 5.3/6.2 V8s along with the I-6 Diesel. Beyond that is anybody’s guess. There is a new generation small block V8 in development and it will replace the 5.3/6.2 probably in the ~2027 time frame. Likely in the pickups first and then in the next gen SUV platform.

NT1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The refresh coming in ‘25 will still offer the 5.3/6.2 V8s along with the I-6 Diesel. Beyond that is anybody’s guess. There is a new generation small block V8 in development and it will replace the 5.3/6.2 probably in the ~2027 time frame. Likely in the pickups first and then in the next gen SUV platform.
Thanks for the reply. What does small block V8 mean exactly for consumers? Will it be more fuel efficient with similar power as the 5.3 or 6.2?

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What does small block V8 mean exactly for consumers? Will it be more fuel efficient with similar power as the 5.3 or 6.2?
The 5.3 and 6.2 are both small blocks. Small block/big block refer to the physical size of the engine block, and isn't really relevant to modern cars as I believe the last GM big block was the Vortec 8100 that they stopped selling in the mid 00s. Big blocks are mostly found in classic muscle cars.

gmdealerguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 5.3 and 6.2 are both small blocks. Small block/big block refer to the physical size of the engine block, and isn't really relevant to modern cars as I believe the last GM big block was the Vortec 8100 that they stopped selling in the mid 00s. Big blocks are mostly found in classic muscle cars.
My prediction would be the 6.6L. Rumor is that there is a C8 Grand Sport coming with the 6.6. Would make sense for them to utilize that in some capacity with the next gen Yukons.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My prediction would be the 6.6L. Rumor is that there is a C8 Grand Sport coming with the 6.6. Would make sense for them to utilize that in some capacity with the next gen Yukons.
I don't know, the LT1 makes more power than the L8T (6.6) and the LT6 in the new Z06 is making 650+ N/A. The L8T is already available in HDs. Now, what would win my wallet would be bringing back the 2500HD SUVs with a TRUE Duramax 6.6 or the 6.6 gasser.

gmdealerguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know, the LT1 makes more power than the L8T (6.6) and the LT6 in the new Z06 is making 650+ N/A. The L8T is already available in HDs. Now, what would win my wallet would be bringing back the 2500HD SUVs with a TRUE Duramax 6.6 or the 6.6 gasser.
Yeah it would be a gen VI LT3.

A 2500 YukonXL/Suburban would be awesome. Even the LZ0 in that would be great.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would be a gen VI LT3.

A 2500 YukonXL/Suburban would be awesome. Even the LZ0 in that would be great.
Just read up on the LT3, man they would have sold some Camaros if they went through with that! I figure that they scrapped it bc they already had the 1LE and ZLE, so where would you have put a N/A Z/28 in that lineup?

gmdealerguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just read up on the LT3, man they would have sold some Camaros if they went through with that! I figure that they scrapped it bc they already had the 1LE and ZLE, so where would you have put a N/A Z/28 in that lineup?
Well they did produce a Z28 with an LS7 (same as C6 Z06) and that was an awesome car. Got to drive one once and that thing sounded great.

I think GM will definitely continue with the V8 configuration being offered in their trucks and full-size utes.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they did produce a Z28 with an LS7 (same as C6 Z06) and that was an awesome car. Got to drive one once and that thing sounded great.

I think GM will definitely continue with the V8 configuration being offered in their trucks and full-size utes.
I'm tracking the Gen 5 Z/28, I was referring to the Gen 6. I agree on GM continuing with V8 SUVs, I think that is one of their big selling points, even with the current woes with the 21+ models. In a perfect world (which this will likely never happen) they would scrap AFM/DFM or at least recognize how much that is costing them to keep replacing engines and offer a factory delete option.

DaveL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM showed with the Silverado EV, Traverse and refresh Tahoe/Suburban they are using the same design theme based on the brand.

I expect that to continue on the GMC side as well. Vertical infotainment, same style cluster, etc. Dash shape and vents will be tweaked, but again same design theme.

What I’m unsure of is if they’ll have something special for the Denali like they did on the ‘21+. Also not sure what they’ll have (or not have) on the LS/SLE trims.

Odd that they’re taking so long with the debut. I kind of expected it to be within a week or so from when the Tahoe/Suburban came out…
I was following the Acadia and Traverse rollout pretty closely. The Traverse "reveal" was much sooner than the Acadia. I tell you the truth, I really haven't seen a lot of marketing on the Acadia and it have been available to purchase for a little while. Strange that GMC is not doing more marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Five3brian