2024 Yukon XL Denali Diesel with bugs worked out, or await 2025 with potential new bugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let's debate!

I have two, yes two, 2024 Yukon XL Denali Diesels on order now from two separate dealers, because I suspect the first dealer I made a deposit with earlier this year is not going to get an allocation at this point, and that order will likely sit in Never-Never Land for several months or a year for all I know. But after seeing the face-lifted 2025 Suburban, I am intrigued about what the 2025 Yukon / Yukon XL Denali will look like in terms of front/rear fascias and interior dash/infotainment in particular.

We already know it will have the LZ0 instead of the LM2, but will that be a better engine overall for the long-term? At this point, until I get a new Denali, I am daily-driving my 911, which is truly a spectacular car...until it's not, like when it starts snowing/sleeting this winter, in which case my wife and I have to share the Jeep.

But at this point, I have decided not to just go out and buy something that doesn't perfectly suit me in every single way, and am willing to lose my deposit(s) if that's what I have to do to get a 2025--ONLY IF it's better than a 2024.

The appeal of a 2024, is that in theory, all of the bugs that remained in 2023 should be worked out, like the DEF level issues and everything else. But the 2025 might look better, and maybe the LZ0 is the better engine.

What do you know?
What do you think?
What would you do?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel will be better for mileage, but if you're getting gas I'd consider an escalade. They're around 68-70 new

OP
OP
shadeandsound

shadeandsound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Diesel will be better for mileage, but if you're getting gas I'd consider an escalade. They're around 68-70 new
I have two 2024 Yukon XL Denalis on order--BOTH Diesel, and won't even consider either of the gas engines since I have heard and read too much bad about them, and will be buying for the long-term (6-8 years at least).

But the LZ0 3.0L Diesel from the current Silverado/Sierra is going to be put in the 2025 Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons, so that is really the biggest change between 2024 (LM2) and 2025 (LZ0), aside from the new aesthetics pending release of the final revision.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 2024 Yukon XL Denalis on order--BOTH Diesel, and won't even consider either of the gas engines since I have heard and read too much bad about them, and will be buying for the long-term (6-8 years at least).

But the LZ0 3.0L Diesel from the current Silverado/Sierra is going to be put in the 2025 Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons, so that is really the biggest change between 2024 (LM2) and 2025 (LZ0), aside from the new aesthetics pending release of the final revision.
That's great always wanted a diesel tahoe

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@shadeandsound we just upgraded to a 2023 suburban high country from a 2021 Tahoe premier. The suburban has some issues with RSE so far so we need take back shop. The 2021 didn’t really gave any issues. It’s luck of the draw for “bugs”. I got a 2022 Silverado high country refresh one of the first off the lines for that refresh, Ton’s of electrical issues, I’ve had in shop over a dozen times, hopefully all the bugs are out now it’s been good last few months.
And all my trucks have been gas engines and no issues with that.
We had been on the order list for a new suburban for a year waiting for the 2024 refresh and when that wasn’t announced we ordered a 2023. Kind of wish I would have waited now for the 2025.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lz0 has been in the trucks for a little while now. So bugs should be worked out especially since it's not much different than lm2.

I am eagerly anticipating the yukon refresh and will most likely switch from our 23 yukon.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LZ0 is 80% of the same parts as the LM2. Big changes are the steel pistons, simpler thermostat, revised emissions system with a 2nd DEF injector.

The pickup will have had it for 2 years by the time the SUVs get it so the early software calibration issues should be worked out.

Infotainment will be similar platform to what's been used since '22, but with bigger screens. Likely some bugs, but nothing crazy. It's been a work in progress since launched and numerous OTA updates have been released, with some of them creating new issues. I don't notice many of them, but we don't use things like Sirius, on-board NAV, etc. We just use CarPlay and that has been 100% reliable when plugged in. Wireless was problematic when we first got it and just went to plugging it in and called it a day.

The rest of the underpinning will be the same so there shouldn't be any new issues that crop up - mind you they can always get bad batches of parts or switch to a new supplier, but usually those are far and few between.

Looking forward to what the '25 Yukon platform looks like inside and out - I like the Suburban refresh, but I'm a bit nervous the Yukon is going to get the vertical screen that the new Acadia has and personally I'm not a fan of that layout.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a 24 Denali with the 3.0 Duramax. I was previously waiting for the 25 refresh, but read that only the 5.3 & 6.2 will be available at launch next fall, with the LZO being available in calendar year 2025. I sold my 2022 Tahoe Z71 6.2 in July, hoping that the refresh would be released for 2024. I don't feel like waiting another 1+ year for the LZO in the refresh. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 24, and I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it (I'm picking it up in the next week).

cartel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
got my '23 Denali XL diesel from May order to Sept. delivery for the wifey. loaded with all the options including super cruise (which is awesome btw). daily an '18 e63s wagon and '01 sl500. thought about waiting for the refresh myself and like someone mentioned earlier, wondering if the infotainment screen would be in a weird spot. love how they integrated the screen in dash in mine. driven it to the beach and Charleston and back, really comfortable cruiser and love the massive amount of space as well. don't regret the purchase at all.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a 24 Denali with the 3.0 Duramax. I was previously waiting for the 25 refresh, but read that only the 5.3 & 6.2 will be available at launch next fall, with the LZO being available in calendar year 2025. I sold my 2022 Tahoe Z71 6.2 in July, hoping that the refresh would be released for 2024. I don't feel like waiting another 1+ year for the LZO in the refresh. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 24, and I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it (I'm picking it up in the next week).
This is the real question.... What will be the last year the Diesel will be offered at all? That will be the next model I'll be interested in....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660