2023 XL Denali ticking noise (this is the replacement truck for the one that had 2 engines die)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous LS engines (which again, are very similar in the rotating engine assembly part, they're just port injection vice DI) had no issues until AFM arrived and even after AFM the issues took a lot longer to surface, those engines ran a 5W30 for the most part.
The L86/87 have the same compression, cam timing, and heads as the LT1, yet the LT1 hasn't been plagued with these lifter and rod bearing issues, even with the AFM components present. AFM/DFM are the downfall of the GM V8s. If I were spending upwards of 100K on a vehicle I would drop another few thousand to delete it and save myself the horror all these guys are going through.

Antonm

Reaction score
The L86/87 have the same compression, cam timing, and heads as the LT1, yet the LT1 hasn't been plagued with these lifter and rod bearing issues, even with the AFM components present. AFM/DFM are the downfall of the GM V8s. If I were spending upwards of 100K on a vehicle I would drop another few thousand to delete it and save myself the horror all these guys are going through.

But then you’re stuck with a brand new $100k vehicle that has no warranty. So there is a downside.

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Wow, just wow.

I personally think it's the thin *** oil they're recommending (0W20) now, in conjunction with the cylinder confusion DFM/AFM system. The only reason they recommend 0W20 is for CAFE/ government mandated fuel economy reasons. The corvette (which is a slightly different 6.2 but it's more similar than it is different, especially in the rotating assembly) , recommends an 0W40, mobil 1 even makes a special dexos approved 0W40 just for it.

The previous LS engines (which again, are very similar in the rotating engine assembly part, they're just port injection vice DI) had no issues until AFM arrived and even after AFM the issues took a lot longer to surface, those engines ran a 5W30 for the most part.
What’s stopping us from putting in a different viscosity/weight oil other than those of us with warranty still? Like would be the downside(besides fuel efficiency)?

Antonm

Reaction score
What’s stopping us from putting in a different viscosity/weight oil other than those of us with warranty still? Like would be the downside(besides fuel efficiency)?

Nothing is stopping us, in fact I am using 0W40 oil in my 6.2, and the one used oil analysis I've done so far looks pretty good.

As for warranty, well, it's a lot easier to drain and replace the oil should the engine happen to blow up than it would be to put the DFM system back on.

Back in the early 2010's I used to have to put the DPF system back on my common rail diesel truck every time I needed to take the truck in even for non engine issues (like one time I had to put the DPF system back on when the dang factory navigation / radio/ infotainment head unit quit working to keep them from voiding the warranty on the truck)

Last edited:

15burban

Reaction score
Nothing is stopping us, in fact I am using 0W40 oil in my 6.2, and the one used oil analysis I've done so far looks pretty good.

As for warranty, well, it's a lot easier to drain and replace the oil should the engine happen to blow up than it would be to put the DFM system back on.

Back in the early 2010's I used to have to put the DPF system back on my common rail diesel truck every time I needed to take the truck in even for non engine issues (like one time I had to put the DPF system back on when the dang factory navigation / radio/ infotainment head unit quit working to keep them from voiding the warranty on the truck)
How long did you run the 0w40 for? Which oil did you use? Did it stay a true 40 wt the whole interval? From reading others oil analysis about pennzoil ultra platinum 0w40 it usually shears down to a 30 weight around 1k miles or so.

Antonm

Reaction score
How long did you run the 0w40 for? Which oil did you use? Did it stay a true 40 wt the whole interval? From reading others oil analysis about pennzoil ultra platinum 0w40 it usually shears down to a 30 weight around 1k miles or so.

I used mobil 1 , 0W40 euro oil, which even new is barley in the 40 weight range. I posted the oil analysis results in another thread (link to that other thread below). I only ran the oil in the analysis for 3K miles (the time between 3K and 6k miles on the odometer), but it stayed a 40 weight (barley) for that long.

Antonm

Reaction score
One is GM dexos approved (the super car stuff) and one isn’t ( the euro stuff).

I’d imagine they have different formulations in the additive package, like maybe less zinc/ phosphorus and more moly in the dexos approved stuff, but that’s just a guess.

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
One is GM dexos approved (the super car stuff) and one isn’t ( the euro stuff).

I’d imagine they have different formulations in the additive package, like maybe less zinc/ phosphorus and more moly in the dexos approved stuff, but that’s just a guess.
I’m going to change the oil soon and will put in 0w40. I still have one empty container available for Blackstone sampling, so I’ll be sending it off. My engine has 13k on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yugerif