2017Tahoe 4x4 making weird low hum - front left

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a weird low hum, not loud but annoying, seems to be from the Driver's side front wheel, nothing looks amiss though

No pulling or shaking, and the caliper doesn't appear to be dragging, so shouldn't alignment or brakes, truck just feels "heavy" , checked tire pressure, put in premium gas, etc

Recently put about 10k miles on newer tires, is this maybe a big nothing?

Tires breaking in weird maybe?

Feels like a slight drag, almost like the 4x4 is on, but not quite that much - just enough to be noticed

Any ideas?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the noise change when turning left or right? A slight turn when rolling about 30 mph side to side and transfer the weight

Try moving the front tires to the back and inspect for abnormal wear. Check tire pressure.

Jack up that wheel and spin by hand and see if you hear a grumbling noise.

It sounds like a wheel bearing to me, but there maybe more to it. Make sure it's in 2 HI and not AUTO 4wd

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@B-train said, he beat me to it. Does sound like maybe a wheel bearing. If the noise maybe gets a little louder with that slight turn to right and puts more load on the left front, that is your culprit. The load is opposite for the other side with a slight turn left. But very well could be tires. Do as suggested and report back.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies, I'll try jacking it up and spinning the wheel

Drove 150 miles last night , all highway @ 80mph, barely noticeable but definitely there, feels kinda like when you put it in "tow" mode but it's not in tow mode, just a slight odd drag feeling.

Tires look good, pressure is good, calipers are not sticking.

Are the wheel bearings a strong possibility, on a 70k mile truck?

I know it depends on use, I don't really tow or go off road, just city and highway.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies, I'll try jacking it up and spinning the wheel

Drove 150 miles last night , all highway @ 80mph, barely noticeable but definitely there, feels kinda like when you put it in "tow" mode but it's not in tow mode, just a slight odd drag feeling.

Tires look good, pressure is good, calipers are not sticking.

Are the wheel bearings a strong possibility, on a 70k mile truck?

I know it depends on use, I don't really tow or go off road, just city and highway.

I replaced both front hubs at 43,000 due to passenger front making noise. I thought the mileage was low too but then remembered how shit brand new crap is. I could have warrantied it but didn't want to bother with that process of waiting for potentially days.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never replaced one wheel bearing on all the yukons I've owned. Many up to and above 200k. I guess it depends on the luck of the draw???? Again, there are others that have had issues, so it is a possibility.

One last thing to check. Does the truck pull to the left when going down a flat road. Can you check the toe-in with a helper and see where that sitz as well. Looking for about 1/16" difference front to back with the rear of the tire being slightly wider than the front of the tire. Measure at the same height front and back of tire and from a repeatable location to get (center rib, etc)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my build thread you will see I did the hub bearings and axles at same time because I wanted it all new at the same time. I sold the old used ones and got some money back. They were not causing problems but knew I had a big trip coming up and wanted to head everything off.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jacking it up an spinning the front wheel in a few minutes, we'll see if it wobbles or sounds like it's dragging.

Just got back from driving it, doesn't pull either direction, and when you shift the weight around at 30mph by swerving, no difference in the sound.

Sounds worse with the windows closed, low humming.

Tire also possible cause?

This started after multiple 2 hour trips to see a relative in Florida - been driving 70 miles each way helping them get settled after moving here, 80 mph each way, all highway.

Every week, round trip once at a minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artmumf