2017 Yukon XL 6.2 CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i disagree with most statements above...all reports i have ever read, or even experienced from CAi is that the sound is very noticeable.

perfect example is my current rig...i have opened up the factory box, below the filter...AGAIN, VERY NOTICEABLE CHANGE IN SOUND. the grumble of the motor when you have any throttle input is noticeable and even the exhaust tone has changed slightly.

i am considering a AIRAID JR TUBE, but not sure i want it to be any more noticeable as it currently has a great sound. the stock piping and silencer box make the engine sounds barely noticeable.

View attachment 349875View attachment 349876
Based upon what I can see, unless I am missing something, your cutting away mod on the plastic housing basically eliminated your OEM CAI setup.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and that may possibly be, which at idle is irrelevant (actually probably better for emissions). once rolling, that is not the case...the area removed is still well contained by other items that block most heat.

highway mileage, throttle response and drivability all had noticeable changes.
current mileage on long trips (with lift and larger tires) has stayed the same as when original tire size was installed (it had slight gains with original tire size)
throttle response and drivability, both showed effects.

they was affected in a matter that this created a small dead spot in the pedal at off idle, low speed, low throttle input (you needed to use more pedal to drive through it)

never said this mod was an improvement, nor is it for every one...this was a trial that i have done to most of my vehicles...i actually took small windows at a time, most having no change to low speed drivability...but there was a sound and mileage change with all.

it wasnt until the majority of the lower box was removed that the dead spot appeared. but again, i knew this was a possibility, but was looking for the gain at higher speeds as we perform long road trips regularly. since having the vehicle tuned (i have a diablo intune3) the dead spot is gone. either by the tune itself or the pedal sensitivity input changes.

the whole point of my post here was to inform that there probably isnt anything wrong the OP vehicle...but that the open flowing elements do create a louder engine noise when throttling...even the posts of swapping to the L83 to L86 intakes on a 5.3 increase sound.

my end game is to have a better flowing, much nicer appearing intake, this was all just a trial...but i can assure you, what ever route i do go...a K&N will NOT be my filter of choice. filtering and flow are 2 very different topics.

Jeff Dant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 16' Denali with a Volant CAI and it's pretty damn loud. I added a Corsa cat back after and the intake can be louder than the exhaust from inside the car when half throttle while holder higher gear(lugging). It does get a little old but sometimes but overall it's badass! I also picked up about 2 MPG after installing both- 18.1 MPG now. I also have an AFM delete from Range so no 4 cyl mode for me.

Nautilus571

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, we are a two Danali family. I have a 2019 Sierra Denali with the 6.2, Borla catback, and a CAI brand CAI. The difference between the factory air box and the cai is phenomenal in not only the sound, but performance and MPG as well. Pushing 440hp or more. Gained almost 2 mpg on average. My wife has the 21 Yukon with a 6.2, stock exhaust, and a CAI cai as well. With the stock exhaust sound is nomi al at idle, but in accelaeration, yeah it sounds awesome. Performance increase is noticable. And the same for mpg as the Sierra. Bottom line I would say a cai is a good investment.
20230715_120805.jpg20230715_115127.jpg20230715_120805.jpg20230715_115127.jpg

Attachments

• 20230715_114959.jpg
    20230715_114959.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230715_115011.jpg
    20230715_115011.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member