2017 Yukon XL 6.2 CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRugRat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just installed the K&N CAI and it’s much louder than expected. I had one on a previous (smaller) V8 and you had to get into the gas to hear much of anything. On my 6.2, anything more than slight pedal pressure results in a growl and getting on it just roars. Just checking if this is normal and considering going back to factory air box with upgraded filter. Maybe just add the tube. Planning ahead as my wife hasn’t driven it yet since I made the change. Was also considering a mild muffler swap, but went with CAI first.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you sure it still has the original oem muffler? or if the exhaust flapper has been wired open?, just doing a cai on a stock system doesn't do much to make it any louder, will sound different but not really louder.

OP
OP
N

NCRugRat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are you sure it still has the original oem muffler? or if the exhaust flapper has been wired open?, just doing a cai on a stock system doesn't do much to make it any louder, will sound different but not really louder.
Stock exhaust which is quiet. It’s all under the hood. I made sure connection to throttle body was tight too. YouTube going down the road.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock exhaust which is quiet. It’s all under the hood. I made sure connection to throttle body was tight too. YouTube going down the road.
sounds like a open pipe, I would get under the truck and take a look and make sure one of the clamps on the exhaust pipe didn't slip off somewhere, no way a cai alone will make it that loud. even with a cai and no flapper and a aftermarket muffler my silverado is not even that loud, it was once when I hit some good jumps and the pipe came loose so it was basically a straight pipe and that's what yours sounds like.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a open pipe, I would get under the truck and take a look and make sure one of the clamps on the exhaust pipe didn't slip off somewhere, no way a cai alone will make it that loud. even with a cai and no flapper and a aftermarket muffler my silverado is not even that loud, it was once when I hit some good jumps and the pipe came loose so it was basically a straight pipe and that's what yours sounds like.
I think he is talking about the Intake. The OE intake has all kinds of silencing tubes (hemholtz resonators to cut down intake drone).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the Intake. The OE intake has all kinds of silencing tubes (hemholtz resonators to cut down intake drone).
I have the same intake on my Silverado (for the most part) it's a 5.3 l83, the l86 has a slightly bigger intake, it still shouldn't be that loud with just a cai, if it is then so be it but sounds like a open pipe somewhere.
if he wants a happy in-between gm sells a airbox

84561598​

it still uses part of the original intake and just changes the airbox to a cai style, that should eliminate some of the noise.

OP
OP
N

NCRugRat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure what the issue was, but that was 100% the intake. Everything seemed to be clamped on tightly so not sure why so loud. I changed it back to stock for now and everything is normal and quiet. I’ll probably just look at the filter exchange for now. My daughter thought it sounded “cool”, but knew it would get old quick.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed with above. The change in sound should not be all that much.

I don't know much about the '17 trucks, but most of the earlier trucks with the 6.2 motor already came with and OEM CAI as standard equipment, so I'm not sure why you made the change. On my 07, which came with OEM CAI, as I previously mentioned, I simply replaced the air tube running from the air filter to the motor's throttle plate, and it was called an MIT made by AiRaid. As mentioned above, the OEM air tube has a bunch of funky protrusions and passages in it, designed to make it quieter.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i disagree with most statements above...all reports i have ever read, or even experienced from CAi is that the sound is very noticeable.

perfect example is my current rig...i have opened up the factory box, below the filter...AGAIN, VERY NOTICEABLE CHANGE IN SOUND. the grumble of the motor when you have any throttle input is noticeable and even the exhaust tone has changed slightly.

i am considering a AIRAID JR TUBE, but not sure i want it to be any more noticeable as it currently has a great sound. the stock piping and silencer box make the engine sounds barely noticeable.

20210227_163615.jpg20210227_163620.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts