2017 Tahoe Premier vs Yukon Denali---which would you buy and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you live in an affluent area but even then it's probably just an observatory bias because you own one. These vehicles (Tahoe, Burb, Yukon, XL) are less than 1.5% of annual car sales in the US. I still think full-size SUV's are sort of an f-you macho mobile and most, especially shiny black ones, draw eyes. Maybe you're just ultra high income and not as impressed by one lol.

Ha! Far from being in an affluent neighborhood or being ultra high income. Definitely in a middle class area and have a middle class income, not that it really matters...

Areas around here that are affluent have people in Range Rovers, Mercs, BMWs, Porsche, etc. which are probably pretty typical for any affluent areas. While these trucks are on the pricey end, I think the deals to be had on them drop them back down to being affordable for a lot of people. If you look at the Mercs, Range Rovers, etc. you would be hard pressed to ever find people getting 10-15% off MSRP.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you live in an affluent area but even then it's probably just an observatory bias because you own one. These vehicles (Tahoe, Burb, Yukon, XL) are less than 1.5% of annual car sales in the US. I still think full-size SUV's are sort of an f-you macho mobile and most, especially shiny black ones, draw eyes. Maybe you're just ultra high income and not as impressed by one lol.

A Tahoe/suburban is the default soccer mom vehicle in my area. Black ones are almost always Uber or livery. They wouldn't turn heads if they were on fire.

They're the modern day wagon with paneling.

Last edited:

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's just a matter of perception. If a $55-70k SUV is the ride of voice for soccer moms in your area then you live in an affluent area and I would imagine it's not out of the ordinary (or just a bunch of people trying to outdo one another). To the average joe, yeah people notice them.

Anyone who can afford a new Tahoe or Yukon is not middle class unless other circumstances apply. If you have a middle class income and are driving this kind of truck I would wager you are not actually middle class or are living beyond your means.

Anyway, I find it interesting that these kind of trucks are no big deal amongst posters. I'm not saying these are Rolls Royce's or anything but they cost more than or similar to most of the Benz's, BMW's etc. It's interesting how your socio economic status perceives differently what normal is.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's just a matter of perception. If a $55-70k SUV is the ride of voice for soccer moms in your area then you live in an affluent area and I would imagine it's not out of the ordinary (or just a bunch of people trying to outdo one another). To the average joe, yeah people notice them.

Anyone who can afford a new Tahoe or Yukon is not middle class unless other circumstances apply. If you have a middle class income and are driving this kind of truck I would wager you are not actually middle class or are living beyond your means.

Anyway, I find it interesting that these kind of trucks are no big deal amongst posters. I'm not saying these are Rolls Royce's or anything but they cost more than or similar to most of the Benz's, BMW's etc. It's interesting how your socio economic status perceives differently what normal is.

Yes, economics plays a role. Obviously in middle class/lower class areas you're not going to see as many vehicles that are over $40k regardless of type. I think in most areas within 30 miles of a major city (where most humans live in the US) you're going to see a lot more. (Especially tahoes since they are the go to vehicle for Uber, taxis etc).

Tahoes start at $47k and many are getting 10-15% off that. The full size Merc, Rover, jag, Lexus, Infiniti and BMW are materially more than that.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on where. Market share in Dallas looks nothing like it does in Maryland. I was at a neighborhood party last weekend (south of Denver), and the full size SUVs were lined up, one after another, along the street in front of the guy's house. It was joke-worthy actually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dcayman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you're going to compare those two you mind as well throw in the Esky as well, to cover the full spectrum to see if you would like any additional features it offers (configurable MRC comes to mind).

I just want to say Thank You to everyone that offered up their opinion/advice. I do appreciate all of your help! As of today, I'm still undecided. Can anyone tell me if the Magnetic Ride Control makes that much difference?

Thanks again!

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Screenshot from a CNBC article from March of this year shows that the middle class income is a fairly large range so I'm not sure why you'd say anyone affording these are not middle class. Sure, you can break it down and say lower-middle or upper-middle but that's a bit silly as overall I still easily fit in the middle class range and am no where close to being considered upper class with our family of four.

Link showing other states:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/30/how-...e-considered-middle-class-in-every-state.html

IMG_4855.PNG

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the Yukon premium edition leather same as SLT and LTZ? A Family member just picked up 17 yukon premium and the leather seemed nicer tgan our 15 but it could have been due to the "NEW" factor. Stitching and seams are same so I'm sure it's same quality.
I just purchased a 17 Yukon SLT Premium and it is loaded minis HUD and 6.2. We looked at Denali and didn't like the extra stitching inn the seat so opted for SLT Premium Edition for that alone. My Yukon stickerd at $69,998 and the Denali was +2k more than mine so pretty close. We looked at the Premier and while very nice, the interior finish and the paint on the Yukon's in general was so much nicer from those we looked at. Plus, like the 22's on my Yukon better than the Tahoe with the painted/chrome look. Just our personal preference, all very nice rides so really a win win!!!!!!!

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing the 6.2L engine as an option on the 17's other than the Denali? Did you order an 18 or how did you find that?

DWebPro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would personally wait for the 2018 Tahoe with the RST pkg and the 6.2L engine as I do prefer the overall look of the Tahoes just a touch more.

Agreed! I never liked the new model Tahoe until the 6.2 became an option. I stopped thinking about mods for my Tahoe and just going to save until I find a gently used 2018 RST with 6.2, 4x4 and power side steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azwood12