2017 Tahoe Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickp

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got a 2017 Tahoe LT and it has a built in converter. However the converter doesnt really have a lot of juice. I would like to increase the volts that the converter can handle. The truck comes with a second battery tray under the hood. I spoke to a rep at the dealer and he recommended not adding a second battery, but i got the impression he was a bit old school and didn't really understand what i was looking to do.

Does anyone know the best way to possibly add a second battery and increase the power of the converter.

thanks
R.

OP
OP
rickp

rickp

Reaction score
sorry yes I meant inverter. Whats the best way to pump up the amps that thing can push out. is the inverter itself the limiting factor or will adding a second battery help?

R

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry yes I meant inverter. Whats the best way to pump up the amps that thing can push out. is the inverter itself the limiting factor or will adding a second battery help?

R
I would think it’s an inverter limitation - second battery just adds more DC capacity.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

R
You'll need a bigger inverter but there's a limit depending on your battery. More AC amps will require enough DC amps so you may end up needing a second battery and possibly bigger alternator.

PAChevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The "Limiting Factor" is the wiring. You can't push more current through the factory wiring than it is designed for. Look at it this way, Voltage is the force pushing the current, Amperage is the flow of current and anything that tries to slow current flow is Resistance. The factory wiring is the biggest Resistance to Current flow (Resistance) and anytime you increase resistance you increase HEAT. In other words, if you install a higher amperage inverter you will have a melt down and possible FIRE.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Limiting Factor" is the wiring. You can't push more current through the factory wiring than it is designed for. Look at it this way, Voltage is the force pushing the current, Amperage is the flow of current and anything that tries to slow current flow is Resistance. The factory wiring is the biggest Resistance to Current flow (Resistance) and anytime you increase resistance you increase HEAT. In other words, if you install a higher amperage inverter you will have a melt down and possible FIRE.
Yep there's that too. You'd have to rewire the inverter with larger gauge wire too. Probably not worth it. I'm not sure what it's like to do that on a new vehicle with a factory inverter. I've added inverters on work vehicles that didn't come with a factory one and it's not hard, there's minimal wiring involved. You might be better off to add an aftermarket inverter wired directly to the battery but you'd still run into the battery/alternator limit. I'm sure it can be done, just depends on what you're willing to spend.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 5K watt Cobra inverter that I'll sell you.

(That's peak, something 2500 running)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz