2016 Yukon Denali Z95 question. Pretty sure I already know.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delta88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got this 16 Yukon Denali with the Z95 pkg. It sits level and rides ok for what it is. I picked it up with a brand new set of master crafts on it 600 TW. Feels kind of harsh. Had to use it to drag a car the other day (2500lb trailer+3700 car). It squat pretty good loaded but unloaded it was level with just the trailer.

Now ive had it in the air and the rear shock bladders, with everything sagging on the lift I can visibly see large gapping holes in the bags. Now with the loaded trailer I didnt hear any compressor or anything nor when I dropped the trailer on the ball.

Safe to say that the rear are toast along with the compressor? Do these toss any warnings about service suspension when that stuff goes out like older Magnaride caddys n stuff?

OP
OP
D

Delta88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If this thing can pull this and this is all of the squat I got...

saturn and wagon.jpg

Id like to think I could hook up and not squat on this. but here is a photo of the small trailer hooked up. No squat but the rear shock bags are super blown out. thought that the bags are cosmetic and not what are actually holding the air in the system. Yes, the angle on the trailer is off.

yukon atv.jpg

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the shocks have holes in them, they are toast. If the compressor fuse is blown, it probably means that's toast too. If the fuse is bad, you can try a new one and see if it runs at startup.

Buy new OEM stuff and save any headaches with crappy aftermarket stuff. There are TONS of cheaper options, but they won't last like original equipment will. Plus, I believe any new air shocks have a lifetime warranty through GM these days as well.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^

These suspensions are excellent when working properly. If you tow, then this system needs to be working properly, as the air lift in the rear shocks is necessary to support the rear (Z95 system rear springs are softer than non-Z95 systems, so the air support is necessary).

Check the air compressor fuse first. If the fuse is good, then you will most likely need a new compressor and 2 rear Z95 shocks.

OP
OP
D

Delta88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it a thing to install a stiffer spring paired with the OE z95 strut?
Also, I get going OE on the fronts as its a bit of work but the rears.. at around $1200+ it is mega ultra super in my wheelhouse to pickup some knock offs @ $300 for a pair of struts and compressor.

OP
OP
D

Delta88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tossed some Amazon magna air struts in and compressor and back in biz. Can tell the ride is better already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz