2016+ GM INDEPENDENT Intake Testing- Black Bear Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nicely done.

Perhaps a silly question but I'm a bit of a noob. Is doing a CAI duplicative, and not a smart use of the cash, if I'm anticipating doing a blower like the Whipple in the not too distant future?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personal preference really, some intakes will couple with a supercharger, but depending on the system, they also come with their own tube.

Steve Juarez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi new to the boards and have been reading up on everyone's posts. I have a new 2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8 and looking to add a CAI. After reading the posts I think I want to go with the AFE 2014-2016 GM 5.3L/6.2L Momentum GT Pro 5R Intake System. Been watching some videos and looks easy enough to install on my own. My question is maintenance... do you need to clean the filter and how often? Since it is enclosed does the filter come out easily? Back in the day I remember maintaining my AEM CAI for my Eclipse by taking off the filter, cleaning and oiling up. Do you have to do this with this intake? Thanks in advance.

Steve

OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi new to the boards and have been reading up on everyone's posts. I have a new 2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L V8 and looking to add a CAI. After reading the posts I think I want to go with the AFE 2014-2016 GM 5.3L/6.2L Momentum GT Pro 5R Intake System. Been watching some videos and looks easy enough to install on my own. My question is maintenance... do you need to clean the filter and how often? Since it is enclosed does the filter come out easily? Back in the day I remember maintaining my AEM CAI for my Eclipse by taking off the filter, cleaning and oiling up. Do you have to do this with this intake? Thanks in advance.

Steve
Yes, you have to maintain it, but should take less than 10mins to perform.

Sent from my fone.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
That won't fit the 6.2L.

The interesting thing is I have it on my 2016 Yukon XL Denali (as you now know ;)) but GM has updated to say it's not compatible for the 2017. I'm chatting with GM now as that is just odd they would have it for the 16 but not 17 on the compatibility.

***Update***
So no real answer from GM as to why they list this compatible for the 2016 Yukon Denali on the GMC Accessories page but not for the 2017 Yukon Denali. They basically told me to check with the dealer. Makes me wonder if I should change to another if there's some overall compatibility issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For some reason the truck and the SUV set ups are different for these years. In previous years, they are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts