2015 Yukon HID Conversion from The Retrofit Source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys using the Silverado spec kit from TRS: what are you plugging in factory driver side harness into? The ballast cable coming from HD relay is the only thing that hooks up to the ballast itself other then the three prong connector for the hid bulb correct?

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys using the Silverado spec kit from TRS: what are you plugging in factory driver side harness into? The ballast cable coming from HD relay is the only thing that hooks up to the ballast itself other then the three prong connector for the hid bulb correct?

If you're using a Relay Harness, there is going to be an OE Plug / Connector that is not used. Just tape the end up and tuck it away.

hamd1719

Reaction score
bulb 55w

Why don't you guys use 55w it gives option of 35w or 55w, will it not be supported by the Yukon the 55w?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're using a Relay Harness, there is going to be an OE Plug / Connector that is not used. Just tape the end up and tuck it away.

Ok just making sure. There's only two plugs into the ballast. One that goes from the HD relay and a three prong connector that goes to the bulb. I wanted to make sure it's wired correctly. Which it is. I just got off the phone with TRS and they said before they can send new HD relay they want pictures to make sure it's wired correctly. This is weeks and weeks of back and forth phone calls and troubleshooting over THEIR broken kit. It's ******** they won't just send me a new one and let me send their old one back. Had they done that I'd be done by now. But instead it's this back and forth BS all over the HD relay harness. They swear up and down its highly unlikely that that is the issue but I've already tested everything else. All ballasts and bulbs and connectors other then the capacitor and the Hd relay harness have been tested since I only have one of each of those.

vishnu619

Reaction score
I used the HD Extreme kit from KBcarstuff.com. I have had no issues at all. I got the upgraded phillips bulbs in 4300 temp color. They work great. I went with them because I saw in some instances morimotos were dead out the box or had issues. I did see that retrofit took care of it but did not see anyone have issues with the KBcarstuff sets. I also used a code MOPARHID and got the canbus for free plus $25 off. I am not sure if the code still works but I got a set for my older SUV and used 8thcivic and got $25 off my order.

I have them in since February.

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a ballast go bad?

I'm a bit frustrated here. I'm working with a shop that is a friend of a friend. They are at least 35 minutes across town from me which is a pain in the ass and something I don't have time for. But I didn't know that until I got in the door.

I know very little, but I wanted to upgrade from the halogens. I bought the Silverado kit mentioned here. 35w, came with XB Igniter, H11B 5500k, HD Relay and Capacitor link. I don't really know what any of that is other than I know the Igniter is the Ballast and I think the H11B are the bulbs. So bear with me.

Guy tells me that they installed a similar kit and there's a flicker issue (well known here) and that he had a guy driving home from Indiana call him and say his headlights were out and had to drive home with no headlights. He had to order some relay or fuse or some shit (clarification - it was capacitators) and then he could install it on a separate switch to ensure they wouldn't go out on me. My buddy trusts him so I trusted him. $150. Fine.

It took 4 ******* hours and he hooked them up (actually hooked them to the same switch my buddy installed for my vLED fogs). They worked just fine. If I wanted my fogs on as DRLs I had to turn the light knob a click to the right and turn on the parking lights and it also would turn on the HIDs. But that was fine.

The other night, driving home at night, they wouldn't go on period (HIDs only). I had to drive home with my high beams on because I didn't want to get pulled over for no headlights.

I made arrangements to get it back in their shop today because I already paid them, and buddy gave me his truck as a loaner because he felt partially responsible. They tell me it's ready and the ballast was bad. They replaced it with an extra ballast of a different brand they had handy, and I would need to get a new ballast from TRS. Then of course I would need to trek across town again next week to have them install this for me. Great. Awesome use of my time.

So I go to pick up my truck, and they give me the story, and I of course go to test my lights before I drive off, and the driver works, but the passenger doesn't. Awesome. I tell the guy at the desk, he pulls the tech over that did the install. They see and agree to swap out with ANOTHER generic ballast they have. Ugh.

He got it done in like 10 minutes. I called TRS and told them the ballast was bad and they asked me all kinds of troubleshooting questions of which I had no idea how to answer. I wanted to put them on the phone with the tech but he was working on my truck and I had to get the F out of there because I had a work call I had to host. So I give him a piece of paper with my name, the # to TRS, the Order #, the parts and explain to him they need to call and explain the issue and how they determined it was a bad ballast. He tells me he will call right away and explains that he isolated one light to one ballast and it was fine, then put the same light on the other ballast and the fuse blew or something. Then he tried again and same thing. Whatever, just call them please.

I don't hear from them and I call later. He never called TRS. Guy assures me he will have him call right away. Calls me back 5 min later and tells me TRS is closed and they will call first thing in AM. Awesome.

Then I get home, and I went to go pick up some food a few hours later. The driver's side light is out and the passenger side works. I turned the switch off that the fogs and HIDs are hooked to, and turned it back on and they both fired up.

I'm sorry for the long post, but does this sound like a ballast issue? I just want this resolved and reliable.

EDITED FOR UPDATE - TRS wants pictures of the ballasts in order to issue a warranty replacement. The shop told me that they mounted the ballast for the passenger side somewhere where they would have to remove the bumper in order to get a picture of it. What the ****. They want to charge me labor for it. I'm going to press for my $150 back and take it to the shop mentioned in the post below. I might look into swapping out for LEDs.

Last edited:

WBHMSU

Seagal Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked to another shop today, much close to me. They told me that HIDs were on the way out in their shop because of reliability issues. They are moving to LEDs, even though they're not as bright. Lines up with what the other shop was telling me. This guy said that the automatic headlight switch on GM vehicles is trying to draw a certain amount of power, and the HIDs are demanding a higher amount, which results in inconsistent performance. He said that was the reason why GM didn't go with HIDs for the 2015s, and that a lot of manufacturers are moving away from HIDs because of performance issues. He said capacitors help (which the other shop did install for me) but still not perfect and lots of installs fail after a year or 2.

I think maybe I got on the wrong train here. Going to take my truck in to this guy as he's local and seems completely transparent and see what he thinks.

OP
OP
S

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started this thread and I am sad to say that I retract me recommendation of TRS. I have an intermittent ballast and like others they want me to take it out of the car and cut it up to get a replacement. That is not too convenient for a car that carries my family. It needs headlights.

Customer service is rude and they don't seem to care at all that this post sent many customers their way. I would look elsewhere for a quality HID kit. TRS charges a premium price and can't back it up with customer service.

DetTigers

Reaction score
I actually concur for the most part. Customer service has been helpful but it's the inferior product I've had enough of. I had a bad ballast which they replaced under warranty. 3 months later the light was out again and this time I thought I troubleshooted it the bulb. They replaced the bulb under warranty however the new one still didn't work. After removing the air cleaner to get to the passenger headlight for the 5th time I said screw it and put in halogen bulbs. TRS was good when they worked but they were in no way reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azwood12