2015 Ltz noise at 60mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New owner of a Tahoe 2015 Ltz. Was hoping to find some answers. Hope this is the right place to start this post. This vehicle has 44k miles and makes a high pitch whine noise as soon as you hit 60mph all the way through 65mph. If you set cruise at 59 or 66 it doesn't make the noise. You can hear it while driving from the left ear and towards the back. Not as noticeable if sitting in passenger side. Took it to the dealer and they checked rear differential and all was in spec. They then swapped wheels and tires and said that fixed the issue. I told them I seriously doubt it did and sure enough I picked it up and it's still doing it. It's not coming from the speakers and if you feather the gas around 62mph the noise gets a little louder. I have a video I will try and upload. It's most noticeable around 61,62 and 63 then noise starts to drop off.

OP
OP
J

JamesL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a link to noise it's making. You can hear me feather the gas around 62mph and it gets louder. The noise gives me a headache while driving. So I got to stay at 59 on 2 lane highway :/

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not getting that hum at other speeds in v4? Is it only in v4 that you hear it? Maybe the resonator?

OP
OP
J

JamesL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IT only happens at those speeds. Starts at straight up 60mph through 65 and stops. That's every time. I haven't paid attention if it's in v4 mode or in v8. I can drive it again and verify. Anything else I need to notice?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totlly differnt car but i had the windshield replaced on my honda but about 10000 miles later the thing started high pitch whistling from passenger side somewhere, it started at 72 mph and stopped at 78 mph (i always knew when my wife was speeding when i wasnt in the car and talking to her on the phone...lol) it pissed me off so much cuz i couldnt find it, one day i pushed on the winshield while i was driving and it stopped, came back as soon as i let go. i drove like that for 5 yrs either going under 70 or above 80 until a couple of months ago when a rock hit it and i had it replaced again...
My point is have someone drive and push on all the windows, doors, etc. it may be wind gettingbin/under around window molding or rubber weather stripping somewhere in the truck..... my 2 cents

OP
OP
J

JamesL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can try that but forgot to mention that this only happens under acceleration in between those speeds and stops when I left off the gas. Just weird how it only occurs at those exacts speeds

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read your comment about the rear differential.
I had the EXACT same noise that started at 1,200 miles on the odometer. the dealer had it many times--in fact I had a loaner for 43 days as they worked on it.
The solution--New ring and pinion gears.
No more noise.
I would strongly suggest that you have the dealer check the rear end again.

OP
OP
J

JamesL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have read your comment about the rear differential.
I had the EXACT same noise that started at 1,200 miles on the odometer. the dealer had it many times--in fact I had a loaner for 43 days as they worked on it.
The solution--New ring and pinion gears.
No more noise.
I would strongly suggest that you have the dealer check the rear end again.

Awesome! I'll definitely run that by them when I take it back in.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, we had a similar noise and it was coming from the rear betwen 55-60mph. It was the rear R&P. It's actually going in to dealer for the 2nd time as 12k miles later it's doing it again. Ours, however, occurred when letting of the accelerator (assuming poor backlash setting). Same sound as what you're showing, however.

I've read a few times that some of these trucks have/had warped or bad axles... I'm hoping that's not the case with ours as this is the 2nd time withinin 1yr of having it replaced.

Last edited:

BobMc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have about 1500 miles on the Tahoe since the repair.
I'm hoping it does not become noisy again.
But----.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645