2015 Denali LED Illuminated Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've installed version 2.0 of this.

I never was thrilled with the initial install. The running board is not flat across the bottom, therefore, the led strip wasn't able to completely fasten to the bottom of the plastic 100% as I would have liked.

I went to Lowes and in the plexiglass cutting section, they carry these plastic trim pieces made to be used with window screens. I purchased two of them.

I pulled the sticky tape that came on the LED strips off and tossed it (would never hold up to the elements under the vehicle) and I used a professional strength 2 part 3M epoxy to epoxy the lights to the plastic "housing".

I then cut the housing to length, and screwed it (using 1/2" self tappers) to the bottom of the running boards. MUCH better and cleaner install. Not to mention the plastic piece serves as a guide and I now have a 100% straight strip of leds. Before if you parked on a puddle or on my painted garage floor, you could see the reflection with a slight hint of waviness in the lights.

Pics:

So just to update this:

I've had a bunch of people pm me inquiring about the "screen channel" I used for the lights. No one seemed to be able to find it. I was at Lowes yesterday and got the item number off of it: Lowes item # 21532 "1/2" x 8' Black Base Screen Tight"

Last edited:

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think those will hold up to NY winters, slush/salt etc? I really like what you did.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think those will hold up to NY winters, slush/salt etc? I really like what you did.

I have no experience with a "real" winter...but we get a decent bit of nasty weather and a few snow storms here. They are still like new. That 2 part epoxy is tough plus the leds have a built in epoxy over them to weatherproof them.

I would think they would be fine.

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really good hosseface!! I will attempt to do the same this weekend.

Thanks - good luck!

I've had a dozen people say they are doing it or PM me about doing it and ZEEEROOOO pics!! :hmmm2:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - good luck!

I've had a dozen people say they are doing it or PM me about doing it and ZEEEROOOO pics!! :hmmm2:
On my side I hold on and waiting on the GM ing. To make a decision on the transfer case grinding noise.
[emoji51]

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post up some pics when you guys get them finished. I'd love to see them. I just recently did the same concept under the handrails of my deck. I did the lower board around the perimeter of my deck and it turned out great.

garlandyukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ran into a few issues but as soon as I get that resolved I'll post up some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia