2015 Denali LED Illuminated Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lurch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like this mod and am thinking of doing the same. Which dimmer did you use?

vishnu619

Reaction score
So I just did this mod on my 2015 Tahoe. The lights I used are $10.95 with free shipping. They are rated at 550 lumens. For the price they were worth a shot.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-12V-LED-...7-/111777155545?nav=SEARCH&varId=410768035751

I am posting because my truck did not come with puddle lights so I could not use the same wire stated on pin 8 the grey with green line. When I tried that wire the light would just flash but would not stay on. I had to use the solid grey wire which is pin one on the first set of connections under the dash looking left to right. I assume the other would not work due to them not being programmed for puddle lights. The wire I used is for the courtesy lights. Will post after a while to share how they hold up. Mod on.

IMG-20151004-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20151004-WA0006.jpg

TexasTony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Grey connector, PIN 8, Light Grey Wire with green stripe = + voltage for puddle lights. Tap into that, there is a grommet through the floor right by the snap lock for the floor mat in the LF.

What pin did you use for GND? I tapped into Pin 8 for PudLit + and Pin 1 (black and white wire) for GND, but the voltage I get between those pins is 6V when puddle lights should be activated and -6V when not. I was expecting 12V and 0V, so I am thinking PIN 1 is actually another control signal.

Thanks. I love what you did. I did this same thing to my Ford Explorer a few years ago and I miss it. I will definitely post pictures when done.

vishnu619

Reaction score
I did not run the ground inside. I ground it under the truck

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

TexasTony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did not run the ground inside. I ground it under the truck

Thanks Vishnu. When I used chassis ground as you suggested it worked with the Courtesy lights. I can also confirm what you saw with the puddle lights. My vehicle did not come with them either and they seem to have disabled pin 8. I measure only 6 Volts rather than the 12V I expected, which won't drive the LEDs.

vishnu619

Reaction score
Thanks Vishnu. When I used chassis ground as you suggested it worked with the Courtesy lights. I can also confirm what you saw with the puddle lights. My vehicle did not come with them either and they seem to have disabled pin 8. I measure only 6 Volts rather than the 12V I expected, which won't drive the LEDs.
Nice! Glad it worked out for you.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this post when I first bought my ride last year and loved it. Now that I'm into modding I want to do this. Would this work on a 2006 Denali? Same concept of wiring the led into my puddle lights under my side view mirrors?

OP
OP
hosseface

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after 2 years of good service out of my 15 white Yukon Denali, I decided it was time to pay my buddies at Laura a visit and steal... I mean buy a 16 Yukon Denali XL this time.

The regular Yukon just wasn't cutting it for us on trips plus I grew tired of it. When I saw the new (I assume, I hadn't seen them before) wheel options out there, I just knew I had to ditch the "standard Denali 22" and opt for some more bling.

Anyhow, here's "Blackie" equipped with V3.0 of the running board lights. I must say, the first night I picked it up and stopped in a dark parking lot on the way home, I really missed my running board lights. That was my first priority the next night.

20160519_203146.jpg

20160519_090431.jpg

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how is version 3.0 holding up after 3yrs?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts