2015-16 Yukon rear level/drop installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16SLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up a Mcgaughys 2" drop kit. I installed it at the craft shop on base. Didn't come with any directions but I figured it out. Before and after measurements from the road to the top of the fender proved a 2-2.5" drop. I have heard and read that some people complain of a noise from the springs rubbing but I haven't heard anything in the last couple of weeks.

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2855.PNG

OP
OP
16SLT

16SLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I searched a little on here to see if anyone has any experience with my rear drop plus an upgrade in wheel size. I want to step up to 24" wheels with the most tire (tallest sidewall) I can get away with and not rub under full turn etc. basically "wife proof".

lilmac

Reaction score
Was always interested in this kit to level it out. Are the two brackets to relocate the shocks? Do you have auto ride? Looks good BTW.

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good
new, bigger shoes will give it some attitude ;)

dont have 24's,
but for general info:

i have Tony's (Norcal SS) 2" rear level kit.
i am running 22x9.5 (+25 offset) w/ 295/40-22 w/ no rubbing

i have been thinking about going up to 305/40 or 305/45, but suspect i will need to do tweak the fender well a bit to keep them from rubbing.

OP
OP
16SLT

16SLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was always interested in this kit to level it out. Are the two brackets to relocate the shocks? Do you have auto ride? Looks good BTW.

Yes they relocate the shocks. No I do not have auto ride.

lilmac

Reaction score
Mine is on the way. I decided to buy the auto ride rods instead of bending them. Hopefully it all arrives by next weekend.

OP
OP
16SLT

16SLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is on the way. I decided to buy the auto ride rods instead of bending them. Hopefully it all arrives by next weekend.

A couple things I learned during the install, it will be easier with a second person. You will reuse the foam like pads that are at both ends of the stock springs. The drop springs have the company stamped on them and I placed them in with that print right side up so that you can read it (in other words, not upside down). Last thing, I had a little trouble getting the passenger shock extender in but after some persuasion with a rubber mallet and a second set of hands it went on. Overall it's pretty straight foward. Can't help you with the rods as I don't have the air ride but if you run into any issues PM me your number and I will help you out the best I can. Like I said it's pretty straight forward.

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good choice with the rods. The dealership where I purchased my Tahoe from installed Mcgaughys front/rear drop kit. Instead for using the shorter rods that came with the kit, they bent the OEM rods. I think they couldn't figure out how to remove the ball end links from the OEM rods.

lilmac

Reaction score
Thanks. Not too worried, but if I run into anything, I'll be sure to hit you up.

16blkltz, your dealership actually installed the lowering springs? Interesting. I saw a YouTube video where I believe the ball socket ends just pop off, or at least that's what it looked like. Looks like the new rods are threaded on both ends. I'm guessing you twist off the ends and put on the shorter bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157