2013 Tahoe LS top end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Evening, not wanting to hijack the OP thread but this was the first post with exactly my issue. The video sound clip is exactly what my engine is doing. However, I have a 2014 Yukon Denali with the 6.2. Clicking/ticking noise just started when I went to leave and I immediately pulled back in, I though I had lost oil bc i wasn't getting a good indicator on the dip stick. And there was just a little around the drain plug and across from it. I pulled the drain plug and it had oil, didnt measure but looks like 6qts, filled up the rectangle oil pan I have about like a normal oil change. Am I experiencing a lifter issue as well. I will create a new thread in the morning with a video sound clip, most likely without taking the rover covers off. Just wanted to get a start on the diagnosis. I just had my sway bar end links snap and take out the passenger side brake line and ultimately brake failure. I'm wondering if it is going to start becoming a maintenance money pit. I only have about 115k on the yukon. It doesn't get driven but maybe once or twice a week. I just moved to a new town and i have no clue of a respectful shop to take it to.
Anyways, just checking on this tread bc its the exact noise but different engine. Thanks for any input.

-Jim

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@theJime Hello Jim, best bet would be to start a new thread and post a good video of the problem so we can see hear the sound it is making.

The problem could be similar to the one in this thread but the way that you address your problem could differ greatly from what is happening here so start a new thread and that will be the best way for us to help you.

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I've actually been trying to work ahead so I can set aside the time to do this project. And no I have not pulled the motor apart yet, I am actually about to start right now. I was waiting to get my replacement parts in hand for the most part. I will absolutely keep you updated. I'll post a pic of what I received today. Thank you for the help

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
@Just00Jake Looks good Jake keep us posted
Hey guys wanted to let you know the progress. I'm getting what I can done as fast as possible. I've got everything pulled apart, new springs in the heads, along with new valve seals, I have everything clean and polished up (It's got to look pretty after all of this work) and I've got everything delivered including a used front timing cover I found online in Denver for $30 and got the plug adapter for $18 and cam pos. sens for $20 instead of $160 for the set. I had a few questions to ask... Where do you plug the end that used to go to the VVT? Can I do the oil release plug in the pan later? And was it necessary to get the new front timing cover our can you reuse the old VVT cover with it bypassed? Someone asked me to the list one and I didn't know. Hopefully in the me et day or 2 I'll be able to make time to get it back together and I will give you an update

OP
OP
J

Just00Jake

Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to let you know the progress. I'm getting what I can done as fast as possible. I've got everything pulled apart, new springs in the heads, along with new valve seals, I have everything clean and polished up (It's got to look pretty after all of this work) and I've got everything delivered including a used front timing cover I found online in Denver for $30 and got the plug adapter for $18 and cam pos. sens for $20 instead of $160 for the set. I had a few questions to ask... Where do you plug the end that used to go to the VVT? Can I do the oil release plug in the pan later? And was it necessary to get the new front timing cover our can you reuse the old VVT cover with it bypassed? Someone asked me to the list one and I didn't know. Hopefully in the me et day or 2 I'll be able to make time to get it back together and I will give you an update
I didn't mention clearly that I ordered the VVT to non VVT plug adapter, I just figured since the VVT was no longer there where does it plug into

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Just00Jake I say this without any experience with the VVT system, mine is 2008 and doesn't have VVT. If it is anything like the AFM delete then the VVT plug harness will remain unplugged and just dangle because I assume the new part doesn't have a place for it to plug into? You should just need to turn it off in the computer with a tune

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Just00Jake I say this without any experience with the VVT system, mine is 2008 and doesn't have VVT. If it is anything like the AFM delete then the VVT plug harness will remain unplugged and just dangle because I assume the new part doesn't have a place for it to plug into? You should just need to turn it off in the computer with a tune
This is correct.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I do the oil release plug in the pan later?
Yes, if you wish. No problem.

And was it necessary to get the new front timing cover our can you reuse the old VVT cover with it bypassed? Someone asked me to the list one and I didn't know. Hopefully in the me et day or 2 I'll be able to make time to get it back together and I will give you an update
You will need a new flat timing cover with the proper re-positioning of the cam position sensor. Can't reuse the old one. I bought mine with the timing set, but Summit sells just the timing cover too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpuvak

Latest posts