2010 Tahoe - Rear Brake Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SP22911

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2010 Tahoe seems to be going through rear pads/rotors often. Since I took possession at around 75K, the rear pads have been replaced @ 85K, pads and rotors @ 105K, and I just did pads and rotors @ 123K. The recent job is the first one I have done, myself. The right rear pads were GONE - metal on metal (wife drives it 99.99% of the time). The left side had some pad left.

I have a two-fold question: Is this atypical wear? To be fair, she's a great driver overall - not a last minute heavy brake user. What could cause the uneven side-to-side wear? I am thinking caliper pins, and am considering replacing them with new ones lubed with the proper synthetic grease.

I do not have the life/change interval for the front at hand, will need to find it - that might be relevant for the discussion.

Thoughts Appreciated.

OP
OP
S

SP22911

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought it was a straight-forward enough question or two ?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have a two-fold question:

Is this atypical wear?

What could cause the uneven side-to-side wear?

Typical or Atypical would be dependent on several factors, including but not limited to pad material and rotors being used, drivers braking habits, towing or not towing, weight typically in the vehicle, terrain, etc.

The uneven wear from side to side is most likely an indication of the caliper pins causing the caliper to stick but could also be an issue with the caliper itself.

I am not certain that replacing the pins is entirely necessary but it certainly won't hurt. You would probably be fine just removing them and cleaning them up and greasing them before reinstalling.

Do you live in an area with a lot of snow/ice/salt on the roads?

What kind of brake pads were on there?

What kind did you install?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The uneven wear from side to side is most likely an indication of the caliper pins causing the caliper to stick but could also be an issue with the caliper itself.
a faulty tire can cause that as well

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do elaborate.
faulty tires are unbalanced they create wobble

on the rear brakes the side with the faulty tire had one side of the pad more worn the the other side the squeak was in sync with the wobble or tread separation
you can see the tire is warped

I just got lucky it did not blow apart in the 10k miles i put on it with it like that
20191212_151608.jpg

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
faulty tires are unbalanced they create wobble

on the rear brakes the side with the faulty tire had one side of the pad more worn the the other side the squeak was in sync with the wobble or tread separation
you can see the tire is warped

I just got lucky it did not blow apart in the 10k miles i put on it with it like that
View attachment 244711

Nope... not buying it.

The wheel is bolted to the rotor which rides on the end of the axle shaft which rides on the bearings in the end of the axle tube.

The caliper bracket is mounted to this same axle tube and moves in the same direction as the axle tube at all times.

While the tire might cause a vibration or wobble of the entire axle housing it wouldn't/couldn't cause the rotor to rub the brake pads due to the wobble.

The only way this could happen would be if the axle flange that the rotor sits on had some obstruction which didn't allow the rotor, and therefore the wheel, to sit flush on the axle flange. Or the axle shaft was bent.

This would be fairly obvious and cause a noticeable issue.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope... not buying it.

The wheel is bolted to the rotor which rides on the end of the axle shaft which rides on the bearings in the end of the axle tube.

The caliper bracket is mounted to this same axle tube and moves in the same direction as the axle tube at all times.

While the tire might cause a vibration or wobble of the entire axle housing it wouldn't/couldn't cause the rotor to rub the brake pads due to the wobble.

The only way this could happen would be if the axle flange that the rotor sits on had some obstruction which didn't allow the rotor, and therefore the wheel, to sit flush on the axle flange. Or the axle shaft was bent.

This wouldn't be fairly obvious and cause a noticeable issue.
I asked the mechanic about it he did not mention the pin or pins being stuck or the rotor being warped

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A caliper occasionally temporarily sticking/freezing would cause more wear than the calipers not sticking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwburns