2008 GMC Yukon stabilitrak & traction control issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_7290.jpegIMG_7297.jpegHey everyone. So yesterday I drove to a doctors appointment & when I was in the parking lot, I started messing with the 2wd & 4wd knob (don’t know why I did that). But all the sudden I got stuck in 4wd low & I couldn’t get it back to 2wd. The traction control light & stabilitrak light came on (no engine light). I started having very rough shifts & rough acceleration. I had to get towed home. Today I went to autozone to get my car scanned (no codes). So I drove back home & as soon as I get back in the driveway, I started messing with the 2wd & 4wd knob again, I was able to get it back into 2wd again. The traction control & stabilitrak went away on its own & the car is driving normal again as of right now. I hope that never happens again. What could the issue have been? Anyone who has had this problem, please let me know. Thank you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 424431View attachment 424432Hey everyone. So yesterday I drove to a doctors appointment & when I was in the parking lot, I started messing with the 2wd & 4wd knob (don’t know why I did that). But all the sudden I got stuck in 4wd low & I couldn’t get it back to 2wd. The traction control light & stabilitrak light came on (no engine light). I started having very rough shifts & rough acceleration. I had to get towed home. Today I went to autozone to get my car scanned (no codes). So I drove back home & as soon as I get back in the driveway, I started messing with the 2wd & 4wd knob again, I was able to get it back into 2wd again. The traction control & stabilitrak went away on its own & the car is driving normal again as of right now. I hope that never happens again. What could the issue have been? Anyone who has had this problem, please let me know. Thank you.
First guess is transfer case encoder motor
2nd guess front differential actuator
but given the lights, probably first guess
btw, those errors are not obd, so a regular code reader won't work and a more advanced scanner that can read body codes will be needed and the error should be active (light on) to read it in most cases, but there "could be" a history code saved.
why gm couldn't just add a 1kb line of code or less to give a more detailed definition of problems is anyones guess

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All normal and operator error. The owner's manual will help, pull it out of the glovebox or get it here (unless it's a Yukon, then use the GMC site): https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc...ging/MANUALS/0/MA390/en_US/2.0/2k08tahsub.pdf

Read it.

View attachment 424433

And get familiar with how to switch in and out of the drive modes (here's how to go into 4LO; the next page in the manual tells how to get out of it):

View attachment 424434
it shouldn't have been "stuck" though, that makes me think the encoder motor wasn't changing/stuck but after several tries eventually did move back to correct position and problem went away.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
it shouldn't have been "stuck" though, that makes me think the encoder motor wasn't changing/stuck but after several tries eventually did move back to correct position and problem went away.

It was probably taken out of neutral and that won't allow it to change out of 4LO.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was probably taken out of neutral and that won't allow it to change out of 4LO.
heck anything is possible I suppose, lol
I guess we can presume he drove it to autozone in 4low
not sure how the 4wd alerts you on the 900's on the k2 Silverado it will tell you on the DIC that you need to switch to nuetral for 4lo, otherwise it stays in 4hi and just blinks
the denali has no switch...

OP
OP
M

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First guess is transfer case encoder motor
2nd guess front differential actuator
but given the lights, probably first guess
btw, those errors are not obd, so a regular code reader won't work and a more advanced scanner that can read body codes will be needed and the error should be active (light on) to read it in most cases, but there "could be" a history code saved.
why gm couldn't just add a 1kb line of code or less to give a more detailed definition of problems is anyones guess
I got under the car & that’s the same part I thought about unplugging. But instead I reseted the ECU & drove to autozone & back. & then everything started working fine after I turned the knob back into 2wd. Pretty weird, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

OP
OP
M

Megusta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia