2007 GMC Denali stalls after towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

syclnjr

Reaction score
Finally! I found more than a couple of people that have the same issue :) Not a good thing really but good to here some things that have been attempted to fix the situation.

For mine 2008 Yukon Denali, 129K miles on it. Only came about on mine after we purchased our travel trailer and went on our first trip. Trailer is around 5500 pounds fully loaded and is 24 foot long, shouldn't have any issues towing it.

As with others after coming to a stop from a about an hour on the highway, it just died, crank and crank and nothing. no check engine lights, no codes etc.

The only thing that I found to get it to start other than waiting is peg the gas pedal on the floor like and old carb car to get it to fire again and after that it would run fine. Or when coming close to a stop, put trans in nuetral and feather the gas so RPMS stayed up.

Engine temp was hovering around 215 ish and trans was about 195 maybe 200 when it first happened.

Everything is near stock on my truck minus the K and N intake and PCM4less tune that I am running. IT runs absolutely fine all the rest of the time.

I am not one to throw parts at any sitaution I like to find the definite answer, but this is just baffling so the list of stuff I am going to do:

• Change the thermostat and the relative fan on times in the tune, going to try a 160 thermostat
  • Put in Tru Cool 40K cooler for the trans and ditch the factory cooler.
  • I bought silicone wrapped fir proof sleeve for the fuel line, do you guys typically disconnect the fuel line at the rail and with a big enough sleeve just slide it over and down or is there an easier way to do this?
  • I may change the oil, but not sure if this will aid in much.
Has anyone found the defnitive answer to this issue that I missed?

I found a conversation on another page where it was recommended to change the THECU in the trans due to a sticking solenoid or control. If I have to dig into the trans I am going to sell this thing lol

Thanks

syclnjr

Reaction score
I would change the Fuel Pump relay...these can get "tired" cheap about 20$
Thanks good thought , but the pump is running with Key ON when it does this.

Something to add to the list possibly, but with all the people having the issue this hasn't fixed it

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before I thought the general consensus it was it is due to fuel vaporization? when this happens try releasing some fuel at the schrader valve on the intake and see if it starts again without waiting.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally! I found more than a couple of people that have the same issue :) Not a good thing really but good to here some things that have been attempted to fix the situation.

For mine 2008 Yukon Denali, 129K miles on it. Only came about on mine after we purchased our travel trailer and went on our first trip. Trailer is around 5500 pounds fully loaded and is 24 foot long, shouldn't have any issues towing it.

As with others after coming to a stop from a about an hour on the highway, it just died, crank and crank and nothing. no check engine lights, no codes etc.

The only thing that I found to get it to start other than waiting is peg the gas pedal on the floor like and old carb car to get it to fire again and after that it would run fine. Or when coming close to a stop, put trans in nuetral and feather the gas so RPMS stayed up.

Engine temp was hovering around 215 ish and trans was about 195 maybe 200 when it first happened.

Everything is near stock on my truck minus the K and N intake and PCM4less tune that I am running. IT runs absolutely fine all the rest of the time.

I am not one to throw parts at any sitaution I like to find the definite answer, but this is just baffling so the list of stuff I am going to do:

• Change the thermostat and the relative fan on times in the tune, going to try a 160 thermostat
  • Put in Tru Cool 40K cooler for the trans and ditch the factory cooler.
  • I bought silicone wrapped fir proof sleeve for the fuel line, do you guys typically disconnect the fuel line at the rail and with a big enough sleeve just slide it over and down or is there an easier way to do this?
  • I may change the oil, but not sure if this will aid in much.
Has anyone found the defnitive answer to this issue that I missed?

I found a conversation on another page where it was recommended to change the THECU in the trans due to a sticking solenoid or control. If I have to dig into the trans I am going to sell this thing lol

Thanks

Thanks good thought , but the pump is running with Key ON when it does this.

Something to add to the list possibly, but with all the people having the issue this hasn't fixed it

Thanks

Just to add perspective we had an issue with the headlight relay on our 2006 Trailblazer and changing it fixed the issue...

When you are towing you use more fuel so the pump is working harder therefor MORE current is being used, more current means more HEAT thru relay....

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting rid of mine. I didn't change the fuel pump, maybe I should have! I did wrap my fuel rails and it didn't do anything.

syclnjr

Reaction score
Just to add perspective we had an issue with the headlight relay on our 2006 Trailblazer and changing it fixed the issue...

When you are towing you use more fuel so the pump is working harder therefor MORE current is being used, more current means more HEAT thru relay....

Ok again thanks for the thought , but when it just died at a light after towing on the highway, the first thing that I checked was if the fuel pump was coming on, it was... so relay is likely not an issue in this case.

With the history of this issue and what others have been seeing fuel delivery, in reference to the pump hasn’t been an issue.

syclnjr

Reaction score
I ended up getting rid of mine. I didn't change the fuel pump, maybe I should have! I did wrap my fuel rails and it didn't do anything.

Thanks for the response to this, that is where I am at with mine, if I can’t figure it out it’s getting sold. :)

syclnjr

Reaction score
This has been discussed before I thought the general consensus it was it is due to fuel vaporization? when this happens try releasing some fuel at the schrader valve on the intake and see if it starts again without waiting.

Thanks and sorry I missed your comment on this.

Agree on the general consensus, wrapping the fuel lines seems to be the best thing to take care of the issue. Read through the entire thread again last night.

I have to crawl under the truck and look as to the best method to wrap the lines, I bought 3/4 inch fire proof sleeve and my thought was to disconnect the fuel line at the rail and possibly slide it down the line, but I believe there is a brake on the back side that will hold that up.

anyone still around that has done this?

thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrapping the fuel rails as a solution doesn’t make sense to me. Even if the fuel rails were to reach 200°F, the vapor pressure would still be about than 14 psi if my calculations are correct. And the fuel pressure while running on these trucks, should be between 40 and 50 psi - more than enough to maintain gasoline liquidity even at much higher temperatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz