2007 GMC Denali stalls after towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Any updates on this? Did everyone's issue get fixed by wrapping the fuel lines? My Theory is oil.

I ran my trailer up and down the mountain most of the Spring with no issue, but I started having this same issue around mid summer (About 2 tows in). I thought Fuel, most though CATs, and after a CAT test and $3K worth of repairs (fule pump, and crack shaft positions sensor) on an 07 Denali 6.2, I took it into the quick lube and realized this was the second oil change of the year, and I have been driving this thing HARD. It unfortunately was at the end of the season for us here in Idaho and I stored the trailer. I have not changed the oil (since the Yukon has not informed me to yet) since early fall. I figure the oil is pretty dirty, so I may go pull the trailer out of storage and take it up the mountain and see what happens. It is a test and I have not found anyone telling me that old dirty oil would cause this, but I have a hunch.

Certainly not knocking you testing and trying to figure this out.

But out of curiosity, what is your theory about the dirty oil?

What do you think it may be affecting?

wesyder

Reaction score
Just my experience but i put tru cool trans coolers on both of my trucks and haven’t had this problem since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedig33k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Certainly not knocking you testing and trying to figure this out.

But out of curiosity, what is your theory about the dirty oil?

What do you think it may be affecting?

So, my thinking goes along the lines of this. Basically, bad oil causes engine heat, engine heat will be seen by the sensors (Typically)

Now for a story. Pulling the summit one hot summer day my 07 Yukon XL started all the bells and whistles and told me to pull over as she was shutting down ... and she did for an hour. The issue was failed fan in the double electric radiator system, but only when it had to run in high mode. Otherwise both fans worked fine and I could drive all day around town, but once I towed and both high fans were required, I overheated quickly and the sensor found it.

Again, dirty oil causes engine heat, but more of an all over warm cozy heat unlike that of a OMG I need cool water heat!!!

My tip-off (and again I have NOT proven my hunch) is the replacement of the so called bad crankshaft sensor. If you look up the "symptoms" of a bad cs sensor, you get the following.

"The most common failure for one of these sensors is when the engine is idling it will just stall. This is because the pulse width is at its widest gap because of the slower engine speed. Heat will also cause the sensor to fail because of the thin wire winding which will expand with heat and short out to one another changing the sensors resistance which will cause the sensor to stop giving a signal to the main computer. Once this happens the pulse generation to the injector and ignition systems will stop the engine from running." source: https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor (and random google search).

So, while it could be the fuel (aka vapor lock) I have been told again and again that it does not happen in newer vehicles. I am not ruling it out, but I have not seen many people come back and say wrapping the fuel lines worked. Did it?

My theory (or wild guess) is it really has to do with the older Chevy/GMG trucks and how they handle dirty oil. With all the safety features built in to these trucks, I think it is a bug in how the sensors work. Assuming a 150K truck sensor handles the oil/heat mathematics the same as it did when the truck was new vs when all the seals start to break down... you have a safety first equation that just shuts it down until safe.

Last edited:

Jedig33k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just my experience but i put tru cool trans coolers on both of my trucks and haven’t had this problem since

Why would the heat of the Transmission shut down the Engine? Please tell me your situation and how it worked?

wesyder

Reaction score
Why would the heat of the Transmission shut down the Engine? Please tell me your situation and how it worked?
The issue is caused by vapor lock, there are 2 extreme heat sources in the area of the fuel lines, the catalytic converters and the heat from the transmission, although I couldn’t do anything about the cats however i did reduce trans temps significantly, not knowing if it would solve the stalling I didn’t like seeing my trans temps that high and wanted to upgrade the cooler, I have not had an issue since, my situation consists of pulling grades towing roughly 6k lbs in 110 degree temps

Last edited:

Jedig33k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The issue is caused by vapor lock, there are 2 extreme heat sources in the area of the fuel lines, the catalytic converters and the heat from the transmission, although I couldn’t do anything about the cats however i did reduce trans temps significantly, not knowing if it would solve the stalling I didn’t like seeing my trans temps that high and wanted to upgrade the cooler, I have not had an issue since, my situation consists of pulling grades towing roughly 6k lbs in 110 degree temps

Can I ask your vehicle model and year? Also, what temps were you seeing? I typically flip my computer over to watch my tanny heat and have not really seen it go above normal. The stock tranny cooler seems to be working fine, but you upgraded yours ans saw better results?

wesyder

Reaction score
Can I ask your vehicle model and year? Also, what temps were you seeing? I typically flip my computer over to watch my tanny heat and have not really seen it go above normal. The stock tranny cooler seems to be working fine, but you upgraded yours ans saw better results?
2005 xl denali with the 6.0 and a 2008 escalade esv with the 6.2, both awd...before in stop and go traffic 90 degree day not towing trans temps would creep up to about 250 degrees on my 05, with the new cooler it hasn’t gone over 200 degrees regardless 110 deg day pulling a grade towing my boat at 70 purposely trying to overheat it, it was a no brainer to add it to the escalade.. denali has roughly 280k. miles the escalade has roughly 150k neither one has stalled since, just my experience

Jedig33k

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 xl denali with the 6.0 and a 2008 escalade esv with the 6.2, both awd...before in stop and go traffic 90 degree day not towing trans temps would creep up to about 250 degrees on my 05, with the new cooler it hasn’t gone over 200 degrees regardless 110 deg day pulling a grade towing my boat at 70 purposely trying to overheat it, it was a no brainer to add it to the escalade.. denali has roughly 280k. miles the escalade has roughly 150k neither one has stalled since, just my experience

Probably my last question for you. I assume your rigs had OEM Tranny Coolers, did you find these not sufficient, so you fully replaced them with new ones?

wesyder

Reaction score
Probably my last question for you. I assume your rigs had OEM Tranny Coolers, did you find these not sufficient, so you fully replaced them with new ones?
No worries yes they did have oem coolers, i upgraded to bring the trans temps down, didn’t know it would solve my stalling problems as well

JEFFC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, my thinking goes along the lines of this. Basically, bad oil causes engine heat, engine heat will be seen by the sensors (Typically)

Now for a story. Pulling the summit one hot summer day my 07 Yukon XL started all the bells and whistles and told me to pull over as she was shutting down ... and she did for an hour. The issue was failed fan in the double electric radiator system, but only when it had to run in high mode. Otherwise both fans worked fine and I could drive all day around town, but once I towed and both high fans were required, I overheated quickly and the sensor found it.

Again, dirty oil causes engine heat, but more of an all over warm cozy heat unlike that of a OMG I need cool water heat!!!

My tip-off (and again I have NOT proven my hunch) is the replacement of the so called bad crankshaft sensor. If you look up the "symptoms" of a bad cs sensor, you get the following.

"The most common failure for one of these sensors is when the engine is idling it will just stall. This is because the pulse width is at its widest gap because of the slower engine speed. Heat will also cause the sensor to fail because of the thin wire winding which will expand with heat and short out to one another changing the sensors resistance which will cause the sensor to stop giving a signal to the main computer. Once this happens the pulse generation to the injector and ignition systems will stop the engine from running." source: https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor (and random google search).

So, while it could be the fuel (aka vapor lock) I have been told again and again that it does not happen in newer vehicles. I am not ruling it out, but I have not seen many people come back and say wrapping the fuel lines worked. Did it?

My theory (or wild guess) is it really has to do with the older Chevy/GMG trucks and how they handle dirty oil. With all the safety features built in to these trucks, I think it is a bug in how the sensors work. Assuming a 150K truck sensor handles the oil/heat mathematics the same as it did when the truck was new vs when all the seals start to break down... you have a safety first equation that just shuts it down until safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts