2006 Tahoe-White smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Some shops will just say things like this with no detail, especially if the right questions are not asked.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lady up front called me and told me that 10% blow by is bad and I need new engine. 7500 is for remanufactured engine with 3 years warranty. 6000 for used engine with 120000 miles on it. I will talk to the mechanic when i pic it up. Isn't there some blow by normal? 10 percent doesn't seem a lot.

Who is the company behind the reman engine?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I ran shops I used Jasper exclusively and never ever once did we have a problem with their product. I sold so many of their product, in KC, Mo. shops, that they took me to the second year of the Brickyard 400 when there was a rain delay and Dale Earnhart won the race. They paid for all meals and room and travel. I am sure there are other quality reman shops like them but long enough away from a shop leaves me with not knowing who they could be. The thing I liked most about Jasper is that their reman product was not a "cookie cutter" set up. Any TSB updates or recall updates for the products, were built right back in to the product.

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
2006 chevy tahoe LT. It started to blow white smoke on start up when we had hot weather here 90 plus. Talked to mechanics at my work and they sugested valve stem seals . Did those but it didn't help. After a while i started to noticed small bubbles in the coolent reservoir. Shortly after radiator developed a crack and leaked (on friday the 13) added stop leak boubbles went away but not the smoke. Yesterday I checked the compression on passenger side heads 180,190,209,195 . 209 was wet spark plug. Tried to do leak down test. Piston top dead center and air in cylinder . Had air coming out of oil fill cap on 3 of the 4 cylinders checked, the fourth one i didn't do the leak down. Next week going to Mechanics for proper diagnosis. Otherwise the car drives fine. Engine is smooth no misfire or hesitation.

When I had these issues it was a bad oil pressure sensor

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Wes states too. A puff of smoke at start up is livable especially if you’re talking new engine. Guys correct me please if there’s that much blow by that you need a new engine wouldn’t you see it at the dipstick and where else? I’d say keep watching your oil level and drive it. I can say my dad got a reman from Powertrain Products if you go that route. But at a minimum get a 2nd opinion and tell them what the other shop said and you don’t have a ton to spend on the test.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Please, if you do take to another shop don't settle for "10% blow by, you need a new engine". Get details and please share here.

The mechanic was saying that the oil ring may be gummed up and sticking to piston and some how that makes the oil go by in start up. But as soon as it gets warm it starts working as it should. I was waching some videos on YouTube about soking the pistons in trans fluid, or injector cleaner or seafoam. Puring it in from top and letting it ssoke through piston ring, the only thing that the cylinders are on a angle so probobly will have to lower the piston enough to cover the whole thing with liquid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700