My '02 Tahoe L59 revs WAY too high on cold start ups. Anyone got any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physical real throttle.
just clean it, like clean it good, take the iac out and clean it and clean inside where it bolts up, I suspect you will see a lot of black soot
that should resolve the problem. If not then grab one from a junkyard do the same and put it on.
trying to a find a new IAc unless you get lucky and score a new genuine oem one then forget it because none of the aftermarket ones work right, at least none I ever found.
it should self relearn within a couple minutes if all goes well

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your replies. Found a near-as-makes-no-difference identical throttle body assembly off an '02 GMT800.
Given that my IAC motor and Throttle Position Sensor are both at least 22 years old, should I fire the Genuine AC Delco parts derringer and get a new IAC motor & Throttle Position Sensor, and clean the ever-lovin schidt out of the throttle body?

Also, besides disconnecting the battery for a few hours, is there anything else I can do?
Is there such a thing as a 'throttle relearn' procedure, or anything else of that nature?
shouldn't even have to mess with the battery, after 2-3 times of starting and letting it idle down on it's own it should self relearn

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with throttle bodys and never had any relearn issue's out of all the countless times I have replaced or cleaned them which I sometimes clean every 3 months or so, but for whatever reason this made me think way back when I had a pos carbureted mazda and was doing whatever to the carb and inadvertenly pushed the vacuum advance up, boy that made it fun to drive! felt like driving a porsche compared to a scooter.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?
A smoke check was done and passed, but the entire intake in front of the throttle body was removed before it.
Might need to check again between the MAF & the throttle body, since that's how the engine normally operates.
Also, the engine was totally warmed up, so maybe the smoke test should be performed COLD.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A smoke check was done and passed, but the entire intake in front of the throttle body was removed before it.
Might need to check again between the MAF & the throttle body, since that's how the engine normally operates.
Also, the engine was totally warmed up, so maybe the smoke test should be performed COLD.
meh I don't know if a smoke test is going to help or even find anything.
I would be looking primarily at the throttle body, maf, temperature sensor readings (previous to cold start and on cold start)
if you had that bad of a vacuum leak you would be having other issue's as well
how many miles are on this vehicle?

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
160,061 this morning.
Found myself nervously starting in 'N' and almost immediately shifting into 'D' to keep the cold start RpM under 2500.

Yanked out two fuses that said 'pcm' in the underhood fusebox. Will plug them in just before the next time I start it, see if that helps.
If not, guess I gotta find a clever diagnostic mech?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
160,061 this morning.
Found myself nervously starting in 'N' and almost immediately shifting into 'D' to keep the cold start RpM under 2500.

Yanked out two fuses that said 'pcm' in the underhood fusebox. Will plug them in just before the next time I start it, see if that helps.
If not, guess I gotta find a clever diagnostic mech?
not necessarily
you could try unplugging the maf, this should put everything in a default setting. start it and see if it does anything different
also use a obd scanner and find the ambient temperture reading, see what it says (pre-start key on only) versus actual temperature & also the temperature sensor on the block, there should be a reading for that somewhere.
the reason for checking temperature reading is if it is showing it is like -40 or even 80+ when it's really not this could maybe be a cause or part of the problem
@rockola1971 may be able to provide more detailed information on the related issues that could make the idle high on a cold start aside from a funky throttle body or iac

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may very well be right. Although I've never understood why, 'arctic' cold starts correlate with higher RpM starts.
If the engine somehow thinks it's even colder than it actually is, that could be one possible explanation.

I'll find a mech to provide me with the temp sensors' readings later this week.
Hoping for @rockola1971 's counsel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you looked at the throttle body when it is cold, like taken the intake housing off and gave the buttrerfly a couple flips to see if it is sticky or anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar