2006 Denali 6.0 cam/heads/intake upgrade kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The diff in the intakes is inlet size 78mm vs 87mm and internal volume. The nnbs intake is vastly superior to the nbs style. Aswell as the 243/799 heads.
This is why Gm changed every truck/suv 5.3 made after 08 to those heads and that intake. Yess you have a 6.0, but there is a reason why everyone swaps the oem 6.0 heads and intake over to the new stuff. It's simply that much better and makes more power on the 6.0 than it does on the 5.3.

All you need to do to see the difference is look at the GM ls wiki and read the specs based on years to see this for yourself.

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
Casting Information

The ports and valves are the same. The only advantage to a 243 or 799 head over the 317 is the combustion chamber size, increasing compression. I wouldn't spend all that money on the exact same ports if I could just pay a shop to mill what I have to raise compression.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
243's are expensive because most ppl dont know 799's are the same heads.
243 is steel cast while 799 is sand cast.

243's run anywhere from 450$ up
while 799's sell all day for under 250$

the reason most ppl buy a set of 243's or 799's is they can have a running drivable vehicle while the extra set is being milled, ported, or larger valves shoved in. then a simple swap and they are done.

correct me if im wrong and this is offtopic from OP's thread, but I thought the ports where shaped differently, unshrouding the valves more in the 243/799 heads vs 317's, along with combustion chamber size and shape.

Theres got to be more reason than just combustion chamber CC size as to why every performance shop starts with 243/799 heads instead of 317's

As you would think they would go with the cheapest, most discarded head casting possible to turn a profit. ala 317 vs 243/799. But they don't. they use 243/799's.

ppl cant give away 317's but the 243/799s comand a nice price. both loaded and bare.

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
Theres got to be more reason than just combustion chamber CC size as to why every performance shop starts with 243/799 heads instead of 317's

As you would think they would go with the cheapest, most discarded head casting possible to turn a profit. ala 317 vs 243/799. But they don't. they use 243/799's.

ppl cant give away 317's but the 243/799s comand a nice price. both loaded and bare.

I could be wrong but I believe it is because you just can't mill 317s enough (correctly) to get the compression up on other engines. Like on a 5.3, I believe compression drops less than 9:1. However, it seems people love them for forced induction for the same reason.

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261848556348?nav=SEARCH

This is the intake from the nnbs you were talking about correct?

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271802548914?nav=SEARCH

And these are the heads?

Yes on both accounts. The intake is a good price but it is not a "bolt-on" upgrade. Do some searching (for your year truck).

Also make sure that you get cathedral port and not rectangle port. You want one from a 4.8/5.3/6.0, not a 6.2.

You should be able to buy heads a lot cheaper. My guy locally sells them assembled, lightly ported with a valve job and milled to spec for $650

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you. Does your local guy ship? Haha. As far as "not a bolt on upgrade" do you mean the link I gave? Or the manifold in general? I've also decided to start slow, wait on the turbo, and build my current trans because I've read 1000 different 4l80 conversion posts/articles for my awd to a 4x4, and 1000 different answers. I wouldn't mind going to a 2wd, but I am also getting different feedback about that. So I'm have a corvette servo on its way, and will be purchasing a bigger trans cooler for now, and will be calling black bear for their traditional tune after I get these things Iinstalled. The over the counter programmers/tuners are too much for the masses, but I may look into the efi v2 scan that black bear uses. I'm obviously new to building these motors, but I'm learning. I was a fox body mustang guy, then a Buick regal guy, then a diesel truck guy, then I gave up on the it all about 5 years ago, but I read that there is so much potential with this motor it's hard not to give it a shot. Thanks again for all of the input!

Mr. Merk

Reaction score
Does your local guy ship? As far as "not a bolt on upgrade" do you mean the link I gave? Or the manifold in general? I was a fox body mustang guy, then a Buick regal guy, then a diesel truck guy, then I gave up on the it all about 5 years ago, but I read that there is so much potential with this motor it's hard not to give it a shot. Thanks again for all of the input!

Look up Macon Motorsports in Springdale, AR and give him a call.

The manifold conversion is not a direct bolt on. You will need a few things. There are write-ups on performancetrucks.net

I was a turbo 2.3 foxbody guy, also had a turbo Ranger. This is the first year in over a decade that I haven't had a turbo car. Just a blower on the wife's daily driver.

OP
OP
H

Hammartime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You weren't kidding about it not being a simple bolt on, but after reading it 3 or 4 times, it doesn't seem like it will be too bad, this is what I found. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264691

which leads me to my next question. ..Do you know if the FAST intake manifold requires as much fabrication? Or does it come with adapters to make it a bit less trouble prone? It seems after all is said and done it would only be a couple few hundred bucks more, and worth it if there is the fab hassle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jnice28